Insider reviews of WT publications allowed?

by BornFree 18 Replies latest jw friends

• BornFree
    BornFree

Ok so I've never been a JW, so I don't have insider experience with this, so let me know what you think...

An aquaintance of mine is an ms in his local congregation, and he recently told me about a "review" that he did of a newly published WT brochure (I don't recall exactly which brochure it was as there are so many stinking borchures...and who cares anyway). I asked him what the purpose was of "reviewing" the thing, and he told me that the WT always asks for input on their new material. So he read the brochure, i.e. "reviewed it", and shared his comments with his congregation, who he said compleletely agreed with everything he said. So then I asked what his "review" entailed. What he told me was really no surprise. He said that the society did a great job of writing the information, did a great job of presenting proof of it's truth, and did a great job bringing to light some of the contemporary issues contained therein.

Uh, ok...hang on a minute. DUH!! Of corse he's going to say that, and of corse everyone in the congregation is going to utwardly agree with him because nobody is allowed to disagree. It struck me kinda funny when he had no constructive feedback. All he said was that the entire publication was well written, informative, and exactly what they needed. So what on earth is this "review" process for? I'm assuming the WT is using it as a way to make the R&F feel like they have something to contribute, even though the R&F is not allowed to give any constructive remarks. AND...heaven forbid...should they actually make any suggestions about the publication, I'm sure they would be quickly reprimanded.

So why the hell go through the charades of these "reviews" when the only thing done is reinforcing in the minds of the R&F that the WT is so perfect? I think the answer to that question is contained within the question: to keep the R&F, and my ms friend, forcefully reminded that they are not to question anything.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers!!

BornFree

• borgfree
    borgfree

I am not sure Bornfree, but I would guess, the WT knows many JWs will not read that brochure, they get the same ole bs over and over, so many will just assume that they have already read the material, so, the WT wants to cram it down their throats.

Borgfree

• metatron
    metatron

Why do guys like Saddam Hussein bother with elections that result in a 99% outcome at gunpoint?

Blind arrogance. They love their own praise.

metatron

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

You should see when they pass a resolution at the hall. All in favor?.....everyone raises their hand. Any opposed? Of couse not. There you have the WT democratic justice system

It's all bogus BS.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Bornfree,

If this MS told you that his "review" was for the purposes of the WT Society to get internal "input on their new material" I would say he is borderline outright lying. First of all, if the Society actually publishes material any "review" is done behind closed doors by the top brass before it ever gets to be printed. Ministerial Servants are next to nothing in terms of any real importance outside of their individual congregations and they NEVER would be asked to perform an analysis of information written by the "Faithful and Discreet Slave." Your MS buddy was probably using "worldlyspeak" with you, that is, making his Service Meeting part out to be far more than what it was.

Bradley

• BornFree
    BornFree

Hi logansrun,

You may be right. He may have been using the "theocratic war strategy", or whatever it's called, when he was describing the situation, perhaps in some way to show me that the R&F have a voice, and that in "Jahovah's earthly organization" there is fair representation. But the funny thing is, as ChakkaConned mentioned, they actually vote on congregation measures. How can that be allowed? According to them, 99.99999999999999999999% of them do not have any communication with the Holy Spirit. So if they actually vote, how can their vote be trusted as what Jahovah wants for the congregation? Well, I guess in that case the assumption is being made that they would actually think their vote is worth something, which it is not. And they would know fully how the borg would want them to vote, so they are too afraid to say anthing to the contrary anyway.

It's still surprising to me to see that these people are so trained to not question. It seems so outwardly counter-EVERYTHING. Wow.

Well, whatever the case may be, I hope the WT dies and those being fooled by it will see that they have been lied to.

• gumby
    gumby

Or......

Perhaps they are hoping for some sharp critical publisher to point out something the writing dept. missed, that could correct any "mistakes" made. Not that the society would ever thank a publisher and let a publisher know the society was wrong, and he/she was correct.

Gumby

• ballistic
    ballistic

I have never heard of such a review. Are we talking about basic proof reading. In which case, I'm sure the society would have no problem accepting spelling mistakes.

But as to mistakes in doctrine, the only thing I have heard with regard to this is, reprints having the content altered as was the case with several books including the "live forever" book and "Choosing the best way of life". But neither of these were pointed out by congregations in the way you state.

• Ed
    Ed

Perhaps they get to vote on the colour of the next publication. They couldn't possibly need any input regarding the content, because that's all straight from God, right? Of course it is.

• gumby
    gumby

Ballistic,

I have never heard of such a thing either as I was raised a dub. I figured it was something new since I left. My point didn't involve spelling error, but rather a 'slip' in something writtenthat would contradict previous material.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit