Politically Correct Wasteland

by freemindfade 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I think what needs to be kept in mind that PC has a time and a place and as long as you know your audience you should be able to put words that fit the audience. Transmits your message with firmness without offending anyone who joins.

Basically, this time and age and the topics discussed in open forums like these, require not so much the writer to be careful (respect is never out of the question) but the reader to be even more careful. Had certain conversations happened behind closed doors or in close groups, no one would have feel ofended. In other words, people have not really changed and become more sensitive. We have become more open about our thoughts and belief.

The issue arises when someone enters discussion that is, by nature, controversial to their own beliefs and the feel that just because it is open, they can go in and trash the discussion. They feel they can go in there and demand sensibility towards themselves or attempt to tell others they are idiots because they don't share the same view. The solution in my view is simple. Stay out of topics you don't agree with and ask that people stay out of yours if they don't agree with you.

• cofty
    cofty
    Stay out of topics you don't agree with and ask that people stay out of yours if they don't agree with you. - STA

How will anybody learn anything in an echo-chamber?

• Simon
    Simon
    ask that people stay out of yours if they don't agree with you

Nope.

• talesin
    talesin

Exactly.. If I have a topic about overalls, and you think they are a fashion no-no, please spam my thread with derogatory comments about how stupid overalls are.

After all, it's CLEAR that they are not convenient (no trap door), and merely a *fashion statement*, and therefore frivolous. How DARE I start a thread about overalls, when everyone KNOWS that slacks are better? What an idiot I can be sometimes. SMDH :P

• scary21
    scary21

Just Fine, exactly !

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

For instance screaming someone is racist for criticizing religion - this unfortunately happens out in the real world but this site's owner and most posters don't do this here.

The WT religion is rightly criticised, torn to shreds, and shown up for what it is. Islam regularly gets criticised and questioned - a few posters have shamelessly played the racism card there but they're usually ignored or their arguments are ripped to shreds.

Thankfully, this forum is a place of intelligent discussion and robust argument.

I think this 'PC problem' is a much bigger problem out in the real world, especially among UK and EU politicians.

• Landy
    Landy

Stay out of topics you don't agree with and ask that people stay out of yours if they don't agree with you.

Mmmm, have you been using the internet long? ;)

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

LUHE

Thankfully, this forum is a place of intelligent discussion and robust argument.

it is, as you and i have seen together a few times and that is what I love. A debate that gets intense but every one can still joke and be normal afterwords without taking differences of opinion as offensive. My point with this OP is too many people feel abused in a disagreement type of situation. People can be "mean":

1. Intentionally to belittle someone
    2. Some aren't really trying to attack the person but the issue
    3. Sometimes people are even trying to attack anything

Still people cry foul. I am not talking about giving people the license to be bullies, but more to the people who feel bullied over EVERYTHING that they need to toughin up, just a bit at least.

If someone is intentionally attacking you, laugh at them, or ignore them, you then have completely disarmed them. If they aren't really attacking you personally but an issue give your opinion but don't say how they are ruining your life because they disagree with you (maybe even sharply).

I used the trump example because in the past I have seen this as an insult thrown at someone. (maybe he will be the new Godwin's nazi/hitler lol).

Having people with different opinions should be celebrated not cried about. no matter what I say on here I know and expect people not to agree, and even if they stoop to calling me names, I am still not going to whine about it, its just the internet after.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Exactly as talesin puts it.
  • SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Talesin:

Hey I would support your overalls thread. I have five pairs! I'll even prove it with a picture if ya like 😋

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit