Politically Correct Wasteland

by freemindfade 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

This was a comment I made from another post, but I would like to hear some people discuss this.

I know the social justice warriors will scream I'm some sort of trump supporter for what I say even though I don't agree with his ideas and no I am not voting for him... I accept this is a go to for them.

I think we have fallen into a PC vacuum.

Criticizing someones religion = racism!

Telling someone to not be so sensitive = misogyny!

Calling someone out on BS = "rabid attack!"

and on and on

What is going on? I would hate to be a stand up comedian in this day and age.

For some of the new folks and even old that are EXJW, you left a world that reinforced your beliefs systematically, and people were forced to be censored. The real world is not like that. Life is not a discussion board with a moderator looking out that everyone treats you nicely and reinforces your beliefs.

In another post I defended someone I often disagree with and don't like very much because someone suggested they didn't like the way he expressed himself because it offended them. This site belongs to Simon and he can do whatever he wants, he can kick anyone out of the party and set the rules, that's cool. But the hair trigger sensitivity of many on here is extreme! I don't know if its just the way the world is now (PC vacuum), or if its an EXJW thing expecting to re-find their Utopian group. Just something to think about.

Be careful you all don't censor yourselves out of reality. In the mean time I am just here like...

Just for the record, I know there are lines that can be crosses, but lately I feel they are blurred and hurt feelings are being mixed up with social injustice.

• pixel
    pixel
    Yes, I agree. Too much PC these days...
  • Simon
    Simon

There s a difference between being overly PC and people using the claim of it to justify obnoxious behaviour.

Language and comments have to fit the occasion. Should people be able to swear and tell dirty jokes? Shouldn't it depend *where*?

• Basement with friends
    • Starbucks
    • Someone's wedding.

If you think they are all the same / identical and fall for the claims of censorship because you can't see the difference then there is no point discussing it any further.,

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I'm not speaking about sexual/inappropriate posts, or profanity as much as everyone feeling like they can pull things that are not so bad, into the realm of things that are bad and confuse them.

For instance screaming someone is racist for criticizing religion. ANY religion.

• Terry
    Terry

To nobody in particular, I say:

Let's face it, Topics containing controversy seldom bring out a well-reasoned, insult-free discussion free of pejoratives and Ad Hominem.

I suspect it may sometimes be due to an inability to articulate the sense of what you're trying to get across.
    This is especially frustrating when the person you are addressing simply will NOT take a moment to listen.

But, isn't there a significant difference between saying, "I disagree with you" and saying "You ignorant a-hole, you're completely full of sh** and I hope you die soon"?
    :)
    The anonymity of the Web bolsters a coward's courage.
    Trolls and other catfish get their jollies by teasing a negative vibe out of a subject and spotlighting an individual for a pounding.

In the almost 12 years I've been on this Board, I've only tangled with about 4 posters with venom dripping from their yellow fangs :)

When I'm feeling good, I ignore them. If I'm depressed or in a bad mood I might engage them. But--guess what? It is NEVER a good idea to engage a bully or psychopath.

The best place to settle differences is PRIVATELY one on one using the Personal Message.
    Guess what? Narcissists won't do that because they like to show off and drain away the dignity and respect necessary to actually settle things, and they get off on negative energy.

I'm still learning to bite my tongue and avoid controversy.
    Being negative and personal is a sickness in Society. I've never seen it worse than it is right now.

Here's how it works:

If you don't exactly agree with me, then you are a worthless idiot. I'm going to publicly humiliate you!

That's not much of an argument!
    Nobody can blame you for wanting to have a say your way. That's normal. If more than one person complains about HOW you have your say--well, what can it hurt to reflect on the critique and grab a handful of self-awareness?
    Humility is the scarcest virtue there is. I know I hope to have a little some day myself.
    I enjoy opinions and insights and feel bad when any of us is in an aggrieved state of mind. It will all blow over and be forgotten sooner than you think.

I'm pretty certain, this too shall pass.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

I'm never aggressive just always curious

And I'm a Brooklyn boy, I'm not for everyone

If someone calls me an idiot (ESPECIALLY on the internet) I promise I am not going to lose sleep over it, or even get that mad. I will probably laugh. Today I just saw some lets call it fragility, and I wonder if we try to keep fitting reality into the JW mold.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I think we have fallen into a PC vacuum.

Opposing sides of an issue make claim to the politically "correct cliché". Those who complain about PC the most are those who practice it the most within their own culture.

As an example: Those who are pro-gun but believe in a background checks and no open carry. They'll quickly be blasted by the "politically correct" - NRA style - gun owners for not being sufficiently pro-gun.

Criticizing someones religion = racism!

My issue is not with criticizing other religions such as Islam but in the fact that those who criticize it the most, like fundamentalist Christians, are hypocrites who cannot smell the stench of their own religion and scriptures.

Trump is disrespectful of women. That should be obvious to anyone who's been awake for the past several months.

Calling someone out on BS = "rabid attack!"

That's what Republicans/Fundamentalist Christians do when the mildest criticism gently wafts their way. The word that Fundies use is "persecution".

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

Yes! Good point!

I think freedom of expression is much more important that political correctness and respectfulness..

Simon gave some levels of freedom of expression:

• Basement with friends
    • Starbucks
    • Someone's wedding.

This is an anonymous bord....of course we shuld feel much more free here than in the basement with friends.. Sometimes I wonder why americans are so afriaid of sexual explicit stories and sexual explicit jokes. Probably is making rude sexual jokes the most important sign of a really liberated mind (among people that used to be religios)
      And yes..already the french philosphers from the 17th and 18th century stated that the best way to deal with religion and religious people is by ridicule..
  • Bardamu
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Trump is disrespectful of women. That should be obvious to anyone who's been awake for the past several months.
    What does what I said have to do with trump lol!? Trump is the king of misogyny, no doubt. I'm talking about the thin skinned majority on this DB that seem so quick to make these claims about anyone not sharing their views. I'm not even talking about politics. I'm just talking about crying foul when there isn't one. The hyper PC sensitivity can actually take weight away from things like racism, rabbid attacks/bullying, misogyny, etc when you make EVERYTHING one of those things. That is my point

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit