Netflix “Explained: Cults”

by Butterfly607 11 Replies latest social entertainment

• Butterfly607
    Butterfly607
    Has anyone else seen the Netflix documentary “Explained: Cults”? I thought it was well done. I feel like a JW might watch it and feel uncomfortable as the show goes through the definition of Cults and then the step by step indoctrination process. Hard to miss how JWs are very similar to what they would call other Cults.
  • HappyGal
    HappyGal

I just watched it yesterday. Yes it was well done.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    Has anyone else seen the Netflix documentary “Explained: Cults”?

No, but now that you've brought it to my attention, I will....Thanks !

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I heard that Jehovahs witnesses were briefly mentioned on a piece of text or a written list, which is interesting.

Im definitely going to watch.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

I’ve not heard of this, so very much appreciate your bringing it to our attention! :)

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    I heard that Jehovahs witnesses were briefly mentioned on a piece of text or a written list...

Yes they were.

The show explains that an area from Albany to Buffalo, known as the "burned over district," was the birth place of many new religions. The United States was particularrly receptive to new religious groups, although some had sprung up in the Middle East, Europe, and India, usually as a reaction to some sort of social or political turmoil.

Jehovah's Witnesses are included in the chart shown. JWs and Seventh Day Adventists both sprang from the Millerite branch.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Ooh! I'll check this out tonight. Thanks for the headsup.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The Hare Krishnas have kinda defined cults in the public eye for the past few decades, but nowadays, high-control religions are highly unlikely to involve robes, shaved heads, and chanting.

Shows like this Netflix program are performing a public service, IMO.

• HoodwinkedToo
    HoodwinkedToo

CULT + TIME = RELIGION

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I cant find it on my netflix :-(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit