Is it better to have a false hope than have no hope?

by sinboi 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• JaniceA
    JaniceA

I'm sorry you lost your friend. Life is precious, whether it is just for now or if you think you have an eternity. Please live your life in a positive way so that whenever you go, whether you face eternity or just the end that you leave goodness behind you. You might want to read Victor Frankls "man's srar h for meaning" . Strive for excellence in your life.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

smiddy3

smiddy you don,t just sound cynical you sound like you are still lying to yourself.ruby

apologies smiddy but sinboi asked this

Just got the news. A very close classmate of mine met an accident and died last nite...
    Just 4 months after I da'd from the borg.
    If I am still in, I wouldn't be so sad. He has the hope of resurrection.
    But now that I am out, I realise that resurrection in paradise is all bullshit.
    So what's next? Where is he now? Will I be able to meet him again?

for myself these questions remain questions for now. You may not agree but keeping them open questions means that the work neuroscientists are presently doing on how the brain works and its plasticity/adaptability indicates that what we believe and how we believe may actually lead to more grey cells being laid down and more synapses being created. Our larger brains are connected to ideas about extending life and indeed studies show that when we think about such things they are automatically connected to feel good areas of our brains and bodies and to questioning, exploratory parts of the brain.

From your reply I got the impression that such questions are done and dusted and so no more could be said about them. If this is not the case then I apologise.

• deegee
    deegee

It seems religion provides the best comfort for some when dealing with death, especially untimely death. The thought of seeing a loved one again is what has enticed some into becoming JWs. I know of two such cases. In one of the cases it was obvious that it was this "hope" that prevented the person from going insane - she was very "spaced out", lost touch with reality after the unexpected death of all of her children in a crash.

On the other hand, there are persons like my late father who saw death as something that happens when "your number has been called" and that's the end of you.

My father learnt very early in life that death was a part of this life and that it is something to be expected and accepted (he was nevertheless adversely affected by the loss of his mother who died during childbirth).

It has been observed that persons who experience the loss of a loved one early in life are less likely to be religious (for obvious reasons), this was true of my father. My father saw life as something to be lived until the day "your number is called" and that's the end of you.

It seems some people can confront mortality more easily than others?

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Sorry for your loss. No, you won't see him again. This is something that is hard for some to swallow. He was a living organism, now he is not. Hopefully his memory and legacy were memorable and positive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit