JW's: Research your beliefs..................

by BoogerMan 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

It is not just the Bible Stories book depicting only one nail being used in Jesus' hands. As far as I recall, all of the WT's depictions of Jesus being named to a stake (of the kind lacking a cross beam to support the body) show only one nail driven through the hands. Many of the illustrations show a slanted board under the feet (with one only nail going through the feet) providing some degree of support to the body - and thus eliminating the need for more than one nail being needed in the hands for support of the body.

I'm not aware of the WT ever saying (at least during the years I was an active JW) that multiple nails through the hands were needed to support the body weight of Jesus. When I talked to a JW elder about the reference to nails in Gospel accredited to John, the elder told me it says "nails" because a nail was also used for the feet in addition to a nail for being used for the hands. But I didn't accept his explanation since the verse doesn't say "in his hands and feet the print of the nails" but instead says "in his hands the print of the nails". Note that John 20:25 (1984 NWt) says "... Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails and stick my finger into the print of the nails and stick my hand into his side ...". That verse says nothing about the feet and thus nothing about the print of nails (or a nail) in the feet.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Correction: Where I said "... being named to a stake ..." I meant to say "... being nailed to a stake ...".

• was a new boy
    was a new boy
    Little gems from the literature:

'sm

Submission

The Time for True Submission to God (1982)

Booklet'

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200020068

It appears that booklet is now considered apostate. As it doesn't appear under 'Booklets'

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200028291

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200027820

"The Time for True Submission to God" is a good book! I had to get all the way to the third sentence before I found a contradiction.

Does it distress you to see some people acting as if they were superior to those of a different race, religion social class, age or sex?

And if you want to be a bit fluid with the social class one, you are treated differently if you hold a position in the JW hierarchy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/56suoe/the_jw_reader_the_time_for_true_submission_to_god/
  • smiddy3
    smiddy3

, one should also test the Bible's claims with science. For some examples, one should test using science the following claims of the Bible: non-evolutionary special creationism (including the first man being made directly from dirt less than 10,000 years ago); life existing on Earth for no more than 10,000 years or no more than 49,000 years (7 times 7,000 years); that none of the stars (not including our Sun) begin their existence millions of years before our Sun; that our planet Earth really come into existence before our Sun; that plants on Earth really come into existence before our Sun began emitting sunlight and even before our Sun came into existence; there really a flood (especially a global one) of Noah's day in the past 5,000 years (with animals of all kinds being in the Ark); Hebrews being slaves in ancient Egypt and later making a mass exodus to Canaan; was Jericho destroyed when the Bible claims it was and by the means the Bible claims; is there really a personal creator God who has interacted with humans and directed human history; did the 10 plagues really happen upon ancient Egypt; does intercessory prayer really work (is there statistical evidence it works better than without intercessory prayer to heal people); was Jesus Christ actually resurrected to eternal life; is there scientific proof that demons or any other spirit beings really exist (such as proof that any spirit beings interact with humans in ways which make obvious their interactions); was there ever a time during the past 500 million years when predatory animals did not exist (for example when none of the animals living long ago killed another animal for food, or instead have scientists found skeletons of animals within the rib cages of other animals from millions of years ago); etc.

Link Dislike Like
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd

I can’t give direct quotes. But I remember when it was a hot topic for me, giving the explanation of multiple nails been used. This lead me to the “my book of bible stories,” which clearly shows only one nail in his hands. Also the wt explanation for the sign above his head, and not above his hands. In sense of the general area been above his head when in fact the sign was above his hands.

Considering the beating he had previously received there is just no way that Jesus could have carried a pole like that on his back. The stake theory is the imagination of a floundering, narcissistic, alcoholic Joe Rud.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit