Muslim Shopkeeper Murdered for Wishing Friends a Happy Easter on Twitter

by cofty 20 Replies latest social current

• tornapart
    tornapart
    I would just say that one was a decent human being and the other a brainwashed fanatic.
  • cofty
    cofty
    One person's "brainwashed fanatic" is another's true believer.
  • Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    Islam is not a monolith. But the Koran does specifically encourage believers to commit acts of violence and murder in the name of Allah. I understand not all Muslims condone violence. But peaceful Muslims don't get to say terrorists are "not real Muslims" when they carry out the very acts encouraged by their holy book.
  • cofty
    cofty

Ahmadi Muslims in Scotland have launched an anti-extremism campaign following the death of the Glasgow shopkeeper Asad Shah, despite the failure of other prominent Muslims to attend the event.

Representatives of the Glasgow Central Mosque and the Muslim Council of Scotland were invited to attend the launch alongside other faith groups, but the Guardian understands that both sent their apologies at the last minute.

Abdul Abid, president of the Ahmadiyya community in Scotland, admitted he was disappointed that other Muslim leaders had not attended the launch. Representatives of Glasgow’s Sikh and Jewish communities and the Church of Scotland’s inter-faith group were all present, alongside local politicians, representatives of Police Scotland and Glasgow’s lord provost.

Abid said: “We are not asking them to stand united in faith with us but to stand united against extremism. If Glasgow Central Mosque is against extremism, they should be here today.”

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    There we go. One of the few sects of Islam that actually could be tolerant gets bugger all support from the more mainstream Muslims when asked to make a public stand against the worst extremism and violence.
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

Just throwing back to some comments I made on another thread the other day as they relate directly to this....

In this country there is insufficient evidence of a real ground swell of opinion amongst Muslims that marginalises any form of extremism. This might be a problem of reporting in the mainstream media but I am no convinced this is that case.
    The same is true with Islam. I commend any Muslim who speaks out against violence and intolerance but there is very little evidence of a small majority, let alone a vast majority, of Muslims in this country being prepared to take a stand that puts them in direct opposition to the core tenets of their religion. If they did they would become apostates - precisely the justification for Asad Shah's murder.
  • zombie dub
    zombie dub

*yawn* more bigotry, standard on this forum these days though

Islam is not a monolith. But the Koran does specifically encourage believers to commit acts of violence and murder in the name of Allah. I understand not all Muslims condone violence. But peaceful Muslims don't get to say terrorists are "not real Muslims" when they carry out the very acts encouraged by their holy book.

Christianity is not a monolith. But the Old Testament does specifically encourage believers to commit acts of violence and murder in the name of YHWH. I understand not all Christians condone violence. But peaceful Christians don't get to say terrorists are "not real Christians" when they carry out the very acts encouraged by their holy book.
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

I think the transposition is fair enough in terms of the possibility of the Bible being used to justify all sorts of heinous acts, even if you allow for some difference between the overall tone of the NT v the OT.

I would also say that there obviously individual Muslims that have no truck with any sort of violence and do have a live and let live attitude. The problem is that these seem to have very little voice.

It's not really about "not real Muslims/Christians" though. What is so difficult about the spiritual leaders of the Muslim people of Scotland and Glasgow being able to join with others in a visible act of condemnation? What is it about the general cultural that means individuals and leadership are not empowered to raise a voice for tolerance and anti-extremism.

Christianity has a torrid history when it comes to persecution, white elitism, violence and extremism. Thankfully this is (a) pretty much a thing of the past and (b) widely condemned when it does happen. Why?

Because most "Christians" couldn't care less what other people do so long as it does not hurt anyone else, regardless of what their interpretation of the Bible might have to say about it.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Very sad story..... I bet his family are suffering very much.

He seems like a great example for others to follow....it's so very sad he lost his life for being nice.

Be nice everyone

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

So a Muslim murders a fellow Muslim in the UK for the crime of being the wrong sort of Muslim, and when community leaders come together in a public show of solidarity not a single Muslim leader shows up.

This is a problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit