Former DO comments on Overlapping Generations

by James Jack 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• James Jack
    James Jack

Brother Richard (Dick) Morlan, a former CO & DO for many years, now lives in Gadsden Alabama, USA. He is 77 years old. I saw him at a recent Assembly in Dekalb County Alabama and ask him about the prospects of him dying in this "System of Things".

His reply was, "I am going to make it till Armageddon, but if I should die before then, then the Governing Body is going to have to add another Overlapping Generation to another Overlapping Generations"!

I laughed at first, be he wasn't laughing. Then I said: "I hate to think that could happen"!

• James Jack
    James Jack
    He still does Sub CO work and he had a part on the Assembly Program.
  • nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

oh the webs the mind will weave to protect the emotional beliefs...

I wonder if he ever met Ray while he was nearby?

My inlaws went to the one in Dalton..

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Oh well at least he's got a sense of humour about the whole thing. Good for you Richard.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Sounds to me like he's accepted the fact that something is wrong with the Overlap Doctrine (or he wouldn't be joking about it), but at 77 years of age and having been a prominent JW for all of his life, what is he to do now? Question the GODs (Guardians of Doctrine) and get tossed out on his A$$ while losing all of his friends and life-long associates who give him respect and honor for his life's "work"? Never.

He has already accepted the fact that he will probably die without seeing the New World. He is "hoping" there really will be a resurrection. At this point in his life, that's the only "hope" he has on which to cling.

Sad story. There are millions of them.

Doc

• blondie
    blondie

wasn't Gadsden the congregation Ray and Cynthia went to after leaving Bethel and before Ray was da'd by the WTS. Gregerson was an elder there too.

Raymond and his wife relocated to Gadsden, Alabama, where they attempted to continue their lives as quietly as possible as ordinary Jehovah's Witnesses. Within a few months time, the local JW congregation even recommended to Bethel that Raymond be appointed as a local congregation Elder. However, Bethel denied the congregation's request, and sent in a new Circuit Overseer whose job apparently was to see to it that the Gadsden congregation disfellowshiped Raymond out of the organization -- something Raymond's Uncle Frederic and the other members of the Governing Body had not had the intestinal fortitude to do themselves. (Interestingly, the Governing Body had even sent Raymond an unsolicited "gift" of $10,000.00 after he had resigned and moved to Alabama.) Having no existing charge against Raymond, the GB changed JW organizational policy to make it a disfellowshiping offense for a JW to associate with a disassociated person. "Coincidentally", Raymond's employer, who was also his landlord, had just recently disassociated himself. Within a matter of weeks the Gadsden "good fellas" obeyed the orders of the Brooklyn "bosses" and "assassinated" (disfellowshiped) Raymond for the horrific crime of eating dinner at a local restaurant with his employer-landlord.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse
    Blondie, it was Anniston, a smaller town very near Gadsden that was the location of Mr Gregreson's store. I have been to both towns many times myself.
  • blondie
    blondie
    But was Gadsden where the congregation was.......I was talking about that not Gregorson's store. I have met him and his wife many times over the years.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Wow Blondie! Never realised the manipulation used by the org in that case!

How disgusting.

• steve2
    steve2

Oh well at least he's got a sense of humour about the whole thing. Good for you Richard.

It does sound funny, Joe, but I think the OP says he wasn't laughing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit