Question about baptism around 1973- can anyone answer for me?

by Virgochik 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pixel
    pixel
    No AmIright, the OP is saying that wants to be brainwashed by ANOTHER denomination. But hey the OP can do whatever feels comfortable at this time.
  • disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy
    Amiright, please take the time to actually read the original post before weighing in.
  • truthwillsetyoufree
    truthwillsetyoufree
    I discussed this with two anglican priests some time back. Two things they said stood out regarding baptism - when you were baptised, did you knowingly and sincerely dedicate your life to god? Also, in keeping with scripture, were you baptised in the name of the father the son and the holy spirit. (Note that being baptised in a spirit directed organization is different than being baptised in the holy spirit itself.) One of the priests had concerns because there are fundamental differences between anglican and jw teachings such as the trinity. But as you are attending a non-denominational church that won't be a problem for you. But if you are in any doubt about it then get baptised again! Many were batised already before studying with the witnesses and had to be baptised again to become one. It also might help you to completely break free from the witnesses as you could use a new baptism to draw a line under your experience with the jws and start a fresh your christian experience whilst not having any remnants of the sect remaining on you. Just a thought. And good luck :)
  • HappyDad
    HappyDad

I was dipped as a JW in 1971 in Pittsburgh, PA. if you are sincere in your Christian beliefs, have the baptism redone in your church as I did in 2008. My life as a "real" Christian is better than ever even though I am soooooo very imperfect.

HappyDad

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    I was also baptized in 1973 - in Muncie Indiana. I don't remember what I agreed to.
  • Virgochik
    Virgochik

NY44M, I was baptized in Indiana too, in South Bend.

Great replies, much appreciated!

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    I was baptized in 1973 too. I vaguely remember the questions --- I was barely a teen
  • jwfacts
    jwfacts

There is a summary of the baptism questions over the decades at http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/baptism.php

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I had to point out to an up his own ass newly appointed M.S that as I was Baptized in 1962 I did not Vow anything to any Organisation.

This guy had come to show me the error of my ways shortly after I left, over the above ,and a few more pertinent points, he left with his tail between his legs, never to call again.

• cofty
    cofty
    Virgochick now that we have the answer to the question in the OP can I ask you what it is you think you need to be saved from?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit