Newspaper article: Why JWs Don't Celebrate Easter

by Sugar Shane 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sugar Shane
    Sugar Shane

Saw this article in the Google news. It seems like the comments section is being overrun by JW apologists. Would be nice if some of us leveled the playing field. Can anyone post a link to the Watchtower article on how we shouldn't get 'all wrapped up' in worrying about pagan origins? I think it was the article based on questions from readers, concerning pinatas.

Anyway...here's the Easter article:

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/letters/20160328/letter-day-why-dont-jehovahs-witnesses-celebrate-easter

Ready? Commence fire!!

• Sugar Shane
    Sugar Shane
    Commenting on news items like the above is a good way to reach non-JWs who might otherwise think the dubs are an eccentric, but harmless little 'denomination.' It might save them from getting involved in such an organization to begin with...unless they just happen across this forum.
  • Listener
    Listener
    Done sugar Shane. There always seem to be plenty of JWs who are happy to post on these types of news articles.
  • Perry
    Perry
    Here's an interesting article in defense of using the word "Easter", as the historical day of Jesus' resurrection.
  • steve2
    steve2

I can't honestly think why such an article would be of interest to anyone but JWs.

It's like asking, "Why don't Seventh-Day Adventists observe Sunday as their holy day?" Who other than Adventists cares?

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Perry that article was super informative, thanks!
  • jhine
    jhine

The newspaper article hints that JWs do not celebrate the resurrection , is that true ?

Jan

• Alive!
    Alive!

No - there is no celebration of the resurrection.........

That's kind of interesting isn't it - I've never stopped to think about that before.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    It's strange but true. Witnesses stop at the death, celebrate the memorial (which you really can't call a celebration), and then never go on to the resurrection. Year after year after year. Just the death. My first Easter at regular church I realized what they were missing. It wasn't a pagan celebration and to call it that is ridiculous. What kind of morose religion celebrates just the death when he who has died has risen??
  • jhine
    jhine

Thanks Alive and Faye . That is interesting . Without the Resurrection there is no Christianity . Not acknowledging that must be a deliberate act on behalf of the WT .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit