How to?

by OneFingerSalute 10 Replies latest forum tech-support

• OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

I cannot use the "quote" feature.

If I click on the quote marks it does the hi-lite of the quote I wish, but I cannot under any circumstances get out of the yellow quote box to create my own post.

I would like to know how other posters are able to do this. I use both IE and Firefox. The same thing happens in both of them.

Also hi-liting no longer works as it used to. Cannot turn of hi-liting on my own section of posts.

Any ideas?

• Magnum
    Magnum

I had problems with the quote feature, too, so I quit using it. I use the highlight feature for quotes, but it seems like you're having problems with that, too.

edited to add: You probably already know this, but just in case...

If you paste a quote, then highlight it, then hit "enter" to start typing on a new line, the highlighting will continue on to the new line. What I do is paste a quote and then hit "enter" to carry over to a new line. Then go back and highlight only the quote. When you return to your new line, the highlighting should be off.

Or, if you have stuff that is highlighted and you don't want it to be, just select it, and use the highlight feature to set the background to white (it's the top right color in the color chart).

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Make extra "enters" or returns so the cursor drops down an extra line or two, then move it back up, then do your quoting, then you are able to move below the quote and continue your post using those extra returns you put in.

it took me a good while to work that out too.

• out4good4
    out4good4
    no problems doing that in chrome
  • Petraglyph
    Petraglyph

I know what you mean.

I now do everything in plain text and then add the quote highlighting afterwards ;)

Or you can add in some carriage returns before you do the quote so you already have a blank line to move down to.

• Gentledawn
    Gentledawn

I cannot use the "quote" feature.
    Also hi-liting no longer works as it used to. Cannot turn of hi-liting on my own section of posts.

Any ideas?

Hit "enter" button prior to highlighting ("highlighting" at this point means dragging your mouse across the text you want to make into a quote, while holding down left mouse button) the text you want to make into a quote. Put a period ( . ) as a place holder. Highlight the text by dragging mouse across the desired quote portion (above your saved space period mark). Click on the quotation marks in the toolbar above reply box.

So, you:
    - paste the quote,
    - hit enter button,
    - mark lowest line with a period,
    - go back up and drag mouse across desired text (while holding left button).
    - After that, click the "quotation mark" button in the tool bar above.

Another trick: if you want to create linked text, click the "code view" button in the toolbar. Type in :

[less than sign] A Href ="URL link here"[greater than sign]words you want to make into a link [less than sign] (backslash,no space between letter) A [greater than sign]

You can also use "code view" to clear unwanted issues, such as the highlighting feature not working properly.

Simply clear the code of the unwanted terms. In this case it would be " style background color : yada yada". Or add </p> in the middle of paragraph or sentence you wish to stop the highlight.

edit: for clarity, I hope.

• Gentledawn
    Gentledawn

Oh, and you can click on your name (top bar of the site, next to "messages" and "sign out" buttons) here on the forum and refresh (or reset, choose new) avatar / little picture for posting.

Mine is linked to Gravatar website, so I don't know how well the forum here sets or saves the avatar pics. My old one wasn't working, so I refreshed it the other day. But then I decided to change it up instead.

• Simon
    Simon

I need to improve the quoting. The new site will allow the reply box to stay while you navigate around and copy quotes - I'm thinking it would be cool if there was a "copy" button when you highlighted some text that automatically copied the quote to the reply including the reference to the source (link and avatar / name) which should make things much easier.

I'm also considering having a Markdown option for those who know what that is.

https://stackedit.io/editor

http://dillinger.io/

• OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

So, you:
    - paste the quote,
    - hit enter button,
    - mark lowest line with a period,
    - go back up and drag mouse across desired text (while holding left button).
    - After that, click the "quotation mark" button in the tool bar above.

Thank you to all who replied!

It works. And I didn't even have to be told, "Well brother, you need to go home and do personal study then meditate and pray about how to make quotes. Then wait on Jehovah to reveal that information to you in good time."

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

When I'm in the mood to use the quote box I simply cut and paste somebody else's quote box including a word or two below and outside of the text box.

I then delete the text in that box and put in my text inside and outside of the quote box.

And that's all there is to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit