If a proposed bill in Mexico passes, new law will mean jailtime for JW´s

by ILoveTTATT2 21 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

Apparently it's true!! OMG!!

I did not want to believe these news, I still feel it's a hoax, it can't be true!

But it appeared in a news outlet I sort of respect, and as I write this it seems to be appearing in dozens of other news outlets in Mexico (it seems like the story was confirmed and is breaking today).

Below is the translation of the article:

"Jailtime for those who preach at inappropriate hours"

"Law will be discussed that will impose a fine upon those that have a high volume during worship."

"Next 25th of may in the Senate of the Republic a law will be debated to protect the home that will impose fines or charges of up to 6 weeks in jail to those that preach the word of God at inappropriate hours.
    "This initiative constitutes a violation of freedom of religion", indicated Samuel Carrillo Gonzalez, director of Religious Affairs. He added that they have solicited Daniel Rivera, subdirector of Religious Affaris of the Government Secretary, information about the position he will take regarding this.
    The law also will impose fines upon the congregations that have high volume at the time they're having their services, or if they are on the streets visiting homes to look for recruits to certain religions or in any way bothering people walking, stopping in the same manner the actions of bill collectors or even the police itself and everyone that dares to violate the integrity of the family.

http://www.debate.com.mx/mexico/Carcel-a-quien-predique-en-horas-impropias-20160404-0020.html

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Crap. Where's iPhones Google translator for the dumb Americans who either

1. only know one language or

2 believe everyone should speak English.

I only belong to the first group by the way.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    I translated the entire article... um... why do you need Google Translator?
  • NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

OH! That was the translated version? I thought you gave a synopsis.

So no mention of what the hours would be then?

I got hit last weekend at 9:30 AM. Bathrobe stinky breath and all.

• Londo111
    Londo111
    To me, this is bad news. The organization loves to play the Persecution Card. And it puts the lowly rank and file members who are suffering the most in a bind. Rather than jail time, the government should fine the Branch office.
  • Watchtower-Free
  • ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    I totally agree Londo, this is a baaaad idea.
  • sir82
    sir82

Agree with Londo.

This bill would suit the Org just fine. They get martyrs for the cause, so they can bewail "Satan's persecution" and gain sympathy points from their adherents.

Meanwhile, the assets of the Org and its precious reputation remain untouched.

Jail time for branch committee members? Fines on the corporation producing the literature used? Now we're talking! That would get the Org's attention right quick.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It's funny.

If a bill like that had ever passed back during the WT's "Golden Age", the Org would have immediately directed the R&F to deliberately go out and preach D2D in direct defiance of it.

These days, though, they'd be way too chicken. :smirk:

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    These days, though, they'd be way too chicken.

Not the Mexican JW's!! I think they will fight this tooth and nail!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit