Flat Earth and Jw. Not possible?

by Earthmeasured 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Earthmeasured
    Earthmeasured

Hi everyone. Sorry for my poor english, i hope to make not too many mistakes. Im a jw and in the last three years i have studied a lot the topic of the Earth being flat. I have a good scientific background so im not stupid or crazy. But the problem is that i ve been lost all my privileges, I was an elder and now i cant even do a public prayer and i was very near to be disfellowshipped. Now, considering that the Bible speaks about a circle and not about a globe, what do you think about this? Has a religion the right to persecute a member for this? Isnt this like the catholic church with Galileo? To me it seems exactly the same

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Earthmeasured:

It is good hearing from you and we appreciate your contributions. Losing those privileges might just turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to you. Happy 2019 for you and yours!

Atlantis!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

So then you are holding to the assumption that the earth is flat are semi curved according to the Bible.

so I'm not stupid or crazy.

I think you may be running with both elements.

The writers of the bible were ignorant ancients who made up mythological stories to give answer to the unknown because they didn't have the knowledge of the universe of which we have now ....... get it ?

• Earthmeasured
    Earthmeasured

Yes. I know. I couldnt be elder and teach that the earth is a globe when I dont believe this

• Earthmeasured
    Earthmeasured

I believe the Bible is the word of God. Ancient writers of the Bible were inspired by Jehova

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

EM,

Welcome to the board. I realize you may not exactly like what people here have to say, but i think it is worth considering.

First, the earth is in fact a globe. Your "research" is flawed, and not scientifically based. I would wager, that mentally, it is easier for you to accept the impossible and a level of conspiracy here to unknown in the world, rather than consider the bible may have gotten something wrong.

But no need to look at it like that. In an ancient culture, someone standing in a high place, would think they were standing on a big disk looking out onto the horizon. They would have had no other real frame of reference. So they wrote what they saw.

If you were teaching the bible says the earth is flat, then what you were doing was going against the branch, and thats a good way to get removed, and probably one of the only reasons its a good idea to do so.

So I would say, you should at least consider that you have been taken in by at least two unscientific views that lack evidence. The first being that the earth is flat, the second being the authenticity and relation to God the bible has.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Well, Earthmeasured, if you accept the Bible is the literal word of God, then it follows that the Earth is flat. It sounds like you already know about the correct translation of Isaiah 40:22 (and that Isaiah 22:18 uses a completely different word to describe a ball or sphere). There are a number of other Bible passages that convey a flat Earth as well. It is irrefutable.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

By the way, Earthmeasured, if you accept the Bible is the literal word of God, what do you think of the pre-bible texts such as the Urgaritic texts or the Epic of Gilgamesh, or why does the Bible have so many inconsistencies such as the ones mentioned in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I think there are 2 scriptures that refer to the earth as a circle (even that is not strictly true) but 15 describing it as flat.

If your conscience cannot ignore those 15 scriptures you will definitely struggle to continue as a JW.

Do more research and feel free to ask us any questions troubling you. We love critical thinkers here. :)

• Giordano
    Giordano

Earthmeasured I am not a fan of how Elder's behave........however this time

your Elders got it right. I hoped they at least asked you to seek some therapy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit