7 day conventions?

by HereIgo 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

My mother was baptized at the 1958 Assembly which was held at the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium

I was at the 1969 Yankee Stadium Assembly, wasn't that the last seven or eight day assembly?

Does anybody here remember the Assembly that was held in Washington DC in either 67' or '68, which was just four days, but the kicker is the toilets were not working for all four days. The restroom were open, but they were all flooded to the top and I'm sure I don't have to say anything else. I think today that wouldn't be allowed for any venue to be opened if they didn't have proper bathroom facilities, because remember, back then they still served food at the assemblies. I was just about nine or 10, so didn't bother me much,but just think of the women and small kids.

• millie210
    millie210

I was at the Atlanta convention (dont remember if it was 7 or 8 days) and I am vague on the year. I thought it was early 70s? I was a kid just running around with other kids so everything is pretty vague.

The food was the best part. That should tell you something.

• zeb
    zeb

Reading this post brought back a terrible memory for me. I went to the mens and saw a little little boy hunched over on the ground crying his eyes out. His mother was carrying the second child and was telling him to 'get up!'. It was late he should have been clean (he wasn't) and in bed. "He's got dysentery." (?) she blithely tells me. Then she gave him a prod with her foot. I had difficulty not giving her the same.

and the evening session droned on some elder with his moment in 'the sun' about Jehovah's love.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Reading this post brought back a terrible memory for me.

Yes....I was just thinking the same thing. Just thinking about myself as a kid during those 8 day assemblies, sitting under the broiling sun day after day in a jacket and tie, for over a week, counting down the talks one by one until sometimes 9:00 at night, is just too much for me to talk about right now. It was utter misery for a little boy. I think it did me some damage in terms of developing the habit of zoning out for hours at a time just to cope.

It was utter religious fanatic, cult lunacy. The last one I attended was in 1974 when I got baptized, I'm thinking they did away with them after that. Everyone was so glad but they had to make it seem as if they were happy because Jehovah was lovingly providing a new direction for his followers and streamlining things due to the closeness of the end.

I seriously need to have a glass of beer or wine right now just to get rid of the anxiety this post has brought up.

• HereIgo
    HereIgo
    I didn't realize this thread would get so many responses, thanks for your experiences, I enjoyed reading them all!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit