I attended my first meeting at a KH!!

by playdrums 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• playdrums
    playdrums

For the memorial service I went with my girlfriend. She's the JW. I also brought my best friend. He is a pastor in Manhattan Beach and was overjoyed at the possibility of attending.

I can honestly say that it was very much as I expected it to be because I've been doing so much research. And elder gave a little talk. It was really apparent that he was following some kind of directives in what he was presenting. The teaching was out of the Bible but it jumped around quite a bit - a couple passages here, a couple there - nothing was in context. They were all the same old passages that are repeated over and over in the dub pubs. Do whole sections of the New Testament go just completely ignored? I guess the answer is yes.

It was also apparent to me that there was some effort to speak to people who may be new. There seemed to be somewhat of a "summary" of the JW faith. This ended with talk of James and works. Clearly James was talking about feeding the hungry but apparently JW's believe it means they must go door to door to be justfied.

Interestingly, the teaching started out very digestible with talk of Jehovah and Christ Jesus and the great sacrifice that was offered "for us all." Everything just took a sharp left turn at one point separating the believers into two classes. It was very clear that before passing "the emblems" that it was going to be strongly reiterated that only one of these classes was to partake. Definitely they don't want the number of annointed going up yet again and they are being very aggressive about it!!! The room felt very tense to me. I've learned of the teaching but I was still very surprised to hear straight from the mouth of this elder that the New Covenant was not for me.

What really blew my mind were the songs. They were such obvious and blatant propaganda material with very specific doctrinal messages in them. I was dumbfounded and didn't sing many of the lyrics. My girlfriend, Carmen, asked me afterwards if I liked the music. I said I felt like the words were forced into the songs - like they didn't lyrically flow. That was honest. I didn't attack the content but I really wanted to. She said "The brothers wrote all those songs." I just felt like, "yeah, whatever. Didn't you mean Big Brother?"

There was definitely a grand effort to "get to know us." They were all over us and definitely wanted us to come back and to Bible study. One member clearly implied that we would learn more about the really important stuff - the Watchtower Society itself - in addition to the Bible.

My girlfriend is currently disfellowshipped. We were attending a congregation that is not hers so people were talking to her. One person from her congregation was also there. She came over, walking right passed Carmen, to say hello to her sons. That's love? Anyway, I made sure to say hi to that person when I left - she did not seem to want to talk to me either. It's strange - the very unnatural decisions such an unnatural doctrine forces you to make. Obviously, it's fine to speak with me, but she didn't know how to reconcile that in her mind apparently. That should be a clue to her that it's wrong.

The other hurtful thing was watching the bread and wine go by. I'm Catholic and my best friend Jon is a pastor - this seemed so evil to us in light of the Gospel.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all have my eyes from the outside. Thanks for this forum. You all are very helpful to me in my understanding of the JW "system of things."

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

playdrums,

Good comments. I enjoyed reading them. I have gone back ot their meetings on rare occasions at a different hall, or even an assembly now and then when there was something I wanted to get. It feels more and more foreign every time I go.

Gamaliel

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Thank you for your comments.

You were looking in from the outside. Your comments make me feel ever stronger in my resolve to never go back. Not that I ever thought to go back.

It's refreshing to hear what you had to say.

Welcome, also hope to hear from you again.

cj

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha
    The other hurtful thing was watching the bread and wine go by. I'm Catholic and my best friend Jon is a pastor - this seemed so evil to us in light of the Gospel.

"Evil religions practises" where they exist, are more then likely a warped version of some normal practise. (such as black masses, inverted crosses) The Memorial seems a very warped version of Jesus Last Supper, with attendees symbollically rejecting the sacrifice of Jesus. I find it odd that I didnt realize that when I WAS a JW.

• freeman
    freeman

Playdrums: I very much enjoyed your comments. It’s refreshing to hear what an obviously intelligent and articulate outsider such as yourself thinks of the JW proceedings. From a Christian perspective, I’ll bet you must see what transpired or rather what didn’t transpire, as nothing less then blasphemous. Such a scripted display of enforced non-participation in something meant for everyone is in essence a mocking of the Christian Communion itself, would you not agree?

I am happy you have your wits about you and that you see this sham for what it is, I am however sad that the same is not true for your girlfriend. Perhaps you can help her find her way out; I’m still working on my wife, there is always hope.

Freeman

• bk62
    bk62

I wish my wife could be DF'd too, but she's not baptised yet!! :)

I completely agree with your comments and observations, Playdrums. I went as well, in order to see what goes on with my own eyes. It was like such a game - almost like kids putting it right in our face "Here - you can see it, touch it, but you better just pass it on because you're not good enough to actually partake". The only person I saw who took part was a lady who came in late, wearing jeans, who I believe was either DF'd or somehow trying to make a mockery. I wanted to shake her hand, but I thought I better just stay in my role for the time being!!

I agree on the songs too - they were *terrible*!!!! Of course I have yet to find one in the songbook I actually like, but most of them flow better than the ones they played during that "event". Thanks again for posting - looks like you're well on your way of freeing your girlfriend from this hurtful organization. Good luck!!

Brian

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

playdrums...WLECOME to our forum. I thank you for taking the time out to make comments.

Do whole sections of the New Testament go just completely ignored? I guess the answer is yes.

Yes, but that is the case in almost all religions....including catholism. Religions IMHO all try to put their own spin on " their interpetation of the bible " ...so now surprise for me there.

It was also apparent to me that there was some effort to speak to people who may be new.

The " memorial " is the Main Event of jwism. They promote this event as much as much as possible, and encourage their current members, ( and this year instructing the elders of the congregations ) to make a concerted effort to invite as many as possible to this service. New ones, lax ones, and even the discarded. It keeps their numbers up. So no surpise there, with people " fawning " over you.

Clearly James was talking about feeding the hungry but apparently JW's believe it means they must go door to door to be justfied.

The door to door work is one of the foundation stones of jw-ism. If they dropped it, they would no longer be able to peddle their magazines and publications that raise the majority of income for their company, and they would cease to exist.

Everything just took a sharp left turn at one point separating the believers into two classes

Yup. Jesus died only for those few of "that class" and not the rest of us. Total bullsxxt, but again another of those teachings they are anchored to, and refuse to admit they are wrong. BTW most jws don't even realize that fact, and that is why the WBTS invented the " great crowd " when their numbers increased past 144,000. What were they going to do with the rest of us who jumped on board after the boat was full ?

What really blew my mind were the songs. They were such obvious and blatant propaganda material with very specific doctrinal messages in them

Never looked at it that way, and you know.....of course you are correct. Just another ingredient in their cult soup.

It's strange - the very unnatural decisions such an unnatural doctrine forces you to make.

Welcome to the WBTS mosty powerful weapon....the main ingredient in their cult soup

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all have my eyes from the outside.

Again playdrums.....I thank you for your post, and appreciate the view from outside.

PS playdrums....Is that a reference to play drums in "taps"

Regards xjw_b12 " Millions Now Living Will Never Die Know "

• hippikon
    hippikon

Translated into Watchtower Speak as an experience to be published in the next Awake / Yearbook

For the memorial service I went with a fellow student who I study the bible with. He's a JW and a fine example. I also brought my best friend and his family, cousins, aunt, uncle and their dog. He is a pastor in Manhattan Beach and was overjoyed at the possibility of learning bible truth.

I can honestly say that it was very much as I unexpected because I've been doing so much research and was thrilled to learn bible truth. And elder gave a little talk. It was really apparent that he was divinely inspired in what he was presenting. The teaching was out of the Bible but it fitted together very well. They were all the same passages that I had read during my search for bible understanding. Whole sections of the New Testament suddenly made sense

Everyone was so friendly. There seemed to be somewhat of a "summary" of the JW faith. This ended with talk of James and works. I believe it means they must go door to door to have everlasting life.

Interestingly, the teaching started out very digestible with talk of Jehovah and Christ Jesus and the great sacrifice that was offered "for us all." I came to understand the two classes and the important work of the separating of the sheep and the goats. It was very clear that before passing "the emblems" that there were very few partakers and as the generation of 1914 gets older there are fewer and fewer every year. The room felt very sombre yet respectful to me. I've learned of the teaching but I was still very pleased to hear straight from the mouth of this elder that the New Covenant was not for me.

What really blew my mind were the songs. The singing was just beautifull it brought tears to my eyes. I didn't know many of the lyrics but the nice elder next to me let me sing from his song book. My bible study conductor, Cameron, asked me afterwards if I liked the music. I said yes and could I buy them on cassette for a modest contribution. That was honest. I contained all the content that I really wanted to. He said "The brothers wrote all those songs." I just felt like, "Realy that’s amazing – are they inspired by God"

There was definitely a grand effort to "get to know us." They were all over us and definitely wanted us to come back and to Bible study. One member clearly implied that we would learn more about the really important stuff - the Watchtower Society itself - in addition to the Bible.

My friend is currently a pioneer. We were attending a congregation that is near my home. One person from her old congregation was also there visiting. She came right over to Cameron, to say hello to us. That's love? Anyway, I made sure to say hi to that person when I left - she genuinely wanted to talk to me. It's strange - the very natural decisions such an natural love forces you to make. The other hurtful thing was watching the bread and wine go by. I used to be Catholic and it always seemed so wrong to me.

By The Way – The internet is evil and you will all rot in hell

• Robdar
    Robdar

Laughing hysterically at Hippikon. Good job!!

Robyn

• playdrums
    playdrums

Thanks everyone for your responses! I definitley appreciate that you allow me to partake and not just observe!

Yes, but that is the case in almost all religions....including catholism. Religions IMHO all try to put their own spin on " their interpetation of the bible " ...so now surprise for me there.

Calamity, absolutely, I don't disagree with you at all. The difference is that I can read a Catholic newspaper that openly criticises the Church. Or, I can refuse to observe the abstinence from meat on Fridays during lent. I do this in deference to the Pauline epistles which clearly don't promote such things. I can also refuse to keep ashes on my forehead on Ash Wednesday (I liken that to announcing my observances to the World). But I don't get excommunicated for such things and can still involve myself fully in the liturgy and faith society - or not. Even Pastor Russell's philosophy allowed such variances among believers. For those inside the JW camp I grieve.

regarding the music:

Never looked at it that way, and you know.....of course you are correct. Just another ingredient in their cult soup.

It is really no different than the songs in an oppressive state such as Nazi Germany. And in all seriousness, this is a big one. You get people to sing together and you drive ideas into heads deeper than you can imagine. There is no doubt whatsoever that these songs are serious tools if not the most serious tools. Did you see the special about the children of Waco last night. At 8 they are singing songs about death and annihilation as they ring around the rosie. Very powerful.

From a Christian perspective, I’ll bet you must see what transpired or rather what didn’t transpire, as nothing less then blasphemous. Such a scripted display of enforced non-participation in something meant for everyone is in essence a mocking of the Christian Communion itself, would you not agree?

Freeman, very well put. This subject has come up many times I'm sure but I think that the evil of this orgnaization is executed in "levels" which makes it hard for those at the bottom to observe. At the "real" top is pure evil personified - the one who deceives. The GB is then motivated by whatever they get from the situation not unlike Judas. Down through to the R&F are simply the deceived. But the end result is the denial of Christ and the Cross - both things that are central to being a Christian. It's very clever. Whom would want you to deny the true power of the resurrection and do so thinking your were pleasing God? So, you are deceived into practicing a faith which cannot reconcile you to God. The true power of this deceipt can be seen in the fact that even among those that leave the JW's, the Bible is forever shattered. The end result is still pleasing to the deceiver. There are those here that ashew all religion now because of their wounds and also there are those who are no longer JW's but still accept some tenets of the faith - still unwilling to except that a lier tells only lies (no criticism of anyone, just an observation!!!). I'm just theorizing about the shear genius of this machine!!! It's built for very final deceipt.

I want to see the end of the entire machine badly.

Love and Peace!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit