freedom96

One year old. Left in my early 20s.

• be wise
    be wise

Dragged up in it from birth,

washed in it,

fed on it,

now shat on it.

[sorry for lowering the tone], but it's taken me a good few years to re-educate myself but I'm proud of that and still learning.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

20 and dummy me went willingly

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Just the facts ma'am.

Started studying at 9, baptized at age 11, left at age 27.

• nowisee
    nowisee

born into it, baptized age ll, left age 28.

• embalmed
    embalmed

My mum began studying with the JWs sometime when I was 3, and we gradually morphed into the JW mindset. I always found it to be quite boring, and I questioned some of the teachings at 12, then grew more and more skeptical, and then I found this site last year, and here I am today, 16 and still attending, but thoroughly convinced that the JWs are... well, confused. I plan to leave the congregation when I'm 18, and I pray to whoever that my mum will not shun me.

• Mystery
    Mystery

Born into it.

Baptised at 12.

DF'ed at 17. Reinstated at 18.

Began fading at 19.

Unless I am DF'd again, I will stay this way. Closure on JW's would be a closing with my family as well. WTBTS isn't worth written closure. Unspoken rule when I go and visit them, we don't discuss religion or my "real life".

Embalmed - Are you baptised? Are you planning on going to college? I suggested to a daughter of a JW that she start planning for college now. (she is also 16) Talk to her school counselor, tell the counselor honestly that her parents are not supporting her in continuing her ed. The counselor is helping her to began applying for grants/scholarships. If you are planning to leave when you are 18 you only have 2 years to prepare.

• embalmed
    embalmed

No, somehow, fortunately, I have avoided baptism. And yeah, I do plan to go to college, I've been looking into Humbolt and Chico State [California]. Luckily, my mum approves of me going to college and I've also received $1000 from the state to go towards college. Thanks for your advice though, because two years isn't much really. I'll arrange a meeting with my counselor and see if I can get help applying for grants and scholarships also, as I won't be getting any help financially from anyone.

• Mystery
    Mystery

I will try to find the site of applying for college scholarships that a friend of mine told me about. If i find it i will let you know.

my email is [email protected]

I am really glad to here that your mom supports you with college. Are you in the US. If not, the site I am thinking of may not help. But others may know of some.

• Aztec
    Aztec

Jill, my family goes way back also. My great grandparents were immigrants from Romania so they were easily duped into dubdom. My grandfather was born into it as was my father. My mother was born into it because her parents were converts from only gawd knows what. Basicly, I had no chance. :( I left at 19 because I wasn't happy. Embalmed, look into government grants. I got enough money from the government to pay for classes, supplies and then some. Good luck! :) ~Aztec

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit