How do you cope with stress?

by Scully 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

When things in your life get so overwhelming and you don't know how to deal with it anymore, what do you do?

Love, Scully

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

1. Buy Godiva chocolate (preferably dark).

2. Make an appointment with my therapist.

3. Retreat to my closet with the chocolate and shut the door.

4. DO NOT SHARE THE CHOCOLATE.

5. Cancel therapy appointment and go do a workout to get rid of the chocolate.

Seriously, though, I will go to therapy, or treat myself to something a little special, or sit in the driveway with the kids and blow bubbles at sunset (that really is very relaxing, BTW), go to a movie, or shopping. Last ditch remedy is half a Valium and go to bed for a long sleep.

Nina

• blondie
    blondie

Ask for help.

Sometimes just talking about it with someone gives me a new perspective and sometimes they CAN help. (I find it hard to ask for help; is it lacking in humility?)

Concentrate on the things I can do something about.

That way I feel like I am making some progress.

Identify the things I can't control

I have a tendency to worry a lot. This is my technique to let go of the things I can't do anything about.

Scully, I'd like to say I am a good example of my advice, but I am always trying to improve.

Blondie

• Shakita
    Shakita

I am sorry to say I can sum up my way of coping with stress in one word:

CHOCOLATE!

preferrably Hershey's Kisses!

Mrs. Shakita

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Blondie, those are good points, and Scully, forgive me for being flippant. I think talking it out with someone is probably the best way to deal with stress because you can put things in perspective better if you see it through someone else's eyes. Big Tex is always my first sounding board, and most of the time his listening ear and wisdom are all that I need to make the demons in my head back off.

Nina

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Work, writing, and golf. Having a truly trusting friend, very difficult to find. The only person that knows my inner mind and heart is my Creator. Remember, your just asking.

Guest 77

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Hey Scully, Here is a simple practice that can be very powerful. Attention is the key. What are you giving attention to? Chances are if we are stressed we are giving attention to thoughts. Thoughts of past and fear of future. Allow your attention to move from your mind and thoughts, down into your body. Feel your breathing. Really feel and give attention to the silent sense of being alive in this moment. Hear the sounds. Taste the food. Feel the breeze against your skin. Live the moment in silent awareness, rather than lost in the continual jabber, commentary and judgment of the mind. Give attention to the moment and the alive senses of it; entering back into memories of past or thoughts of future only when absolutely necessary for planning or whatever. You will notice that you habitually keep going back into the minds interpretation of reality, back into unnecessary thoughts. When this happens the lights dim, everything fads and there is a sense of tightness and tension. Do not judge yourself for falling back into the mind, just bring attention yet again to your body and the moment.....embrace whatever the universe is presenting to you now. You will notice that when you live life, are really present with life, rather than a mental interpretation of life, there is less tension and more peace and joy. Be very gentle and patient with yourself through this. It's simple, but often a radical change. JamesT

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

(((((((((((Scully)))))))))))

First and foremost, LOVE YOURSELF. Examine and give yourself credit for the great things you are doing. They don't have to be spectacular, like being a good mom to your kids, take time to nurture YOU. We never were taught to think highly of ourselves from the WTBTS but do so now.

Let things go that you can't control. Even if it means making hard changes and difficult decisions in your life. Maybe those decisions were made by someone else, accept what you can and do what you need to to keep mentally healthy.

I really recommend "A Road Less Traveled" by M. Scott Peck, M.D. "Life is difficult" is his favorite saying.

Please know that I care and am a listening ear. (e-mail or call if you want)

Hugs,

j2bf

ps or you could just throw it all to the wind and run away to my place!

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Give a friend a call, and either vent or cry on their shoulders.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Scully. Hope all is OK

When CJ gets stressed out, I have a standing offer open to her, any time she wants to take it. That is pack a suitcase, check into a quiet out of the way motel, and pamper herself. Hot Tub/Whirlpool, spa treatment, whatever she wants. No kids, no spouse, no dogs, no laundry, no cooking, no cleaning, no stress from work, etc.

I have also purchased 1 day total pampering, head to toe packages from a day spa for her.

She has enjoyed the spa packages, and come back refreshed, and somewhat recahrged. She has never taken me up on the motel thing. Typical wife/mother, feeling selfish or guilty or some man incomprehensable thing !

The way I look at it, I would rather her get away from it all, and collect her thoughts, and feel good about herself, then have to visit her in a hospital.

It is always good to share your thoughts with someone who cares and can empathize. CJ and I were visiting friends on the weekend, and we got on the topic of depression, etc. It was nice to know that a lot of the thoughts and emotions one may feel are uncannily similar to others who have experienced the same. Yet they have found solutions, treatments, coped and recovered.

You know how to contact us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit