Are logos evil?

by goddidit 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• goddidit
    goddidit

I have a vague memory of JWs having some objection to logos of some kind in the past, which might be a contradiction to the recent addition of the JW.ORG logo.

Please can someone enlighten me on what their stance used to be regarding logos?

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    Awake 1981 November 22 p. 30 Watching the WorldPope John Paul II’s visit to Ireland in 1979 was “said to have cost almost $8 million,” reports the Financial Post of Toronto, Canada, and “the Church had to come up with almost $6 million . . . while fly-by-night entrepreneurs cashed in by selling trinkets and souvenirs.” According to the Post, to see that the Church gets a share of the booty this time, a new company called Papal Visits, Ltd., has been formed by the bishops of Scotland, England and Wales. The company reportedly has appointed a commercial organization to manage the sale of commemorative programs, T-shirts, books and a multitude of other souvenirs—all carrying an official logo, of course.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    I think I can clear your question for you. All JW logos are blessed by the GB therefore Godly. All others are either evil or are probably evil. Just a general, tidy statement with a fraction of my tongue in my cheek.
  • neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    For years the society has used the watchtower logo for the two main watch tower corporation and an 'open bible' logo for the 'Christian congregation' corporation. They just told publishers in a km question box not to use these logos for personal use, especially commercial use. They seem to be taking a loosed stance with the jw.org logo because they WANT it be advertised at any cost.
  • Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    Bethelites are not allowed to wear clothing with logos/slogans/images on them when working or when entering/leaving a Bethel facility.
  • Heaven
    Heaven

Anything not from the Borg is highly suspect in JWs' eyes.The demunz are lurking around everything not sanctioned by Botchtower.

You should have seen my Dad's reaction to my Hobby Farm Home Magazine. It was very weird indeed, looking at it with high suspicion. <sarcasm> Yeah, the evil just oozes from this magazine. </sarcasm>.

• WireRider
    WireRider

I always thought it was hypocritical. I think all of Russell's books used a logo of the "winged sun". A direct symbol for the Egyptian symbol for the pagan god Ra.

Pictures of his tombstone says "The Laodicean Messenger" ??

Had to google: Laodicean (halfhearted toward religion)

• Mickey mouse
  • TD
    TD
    There is a persistent rumor (Not just among JW's, but among other religious groups as well) that the Procter & Gamble logo above is Satanic.
  • jws
    jws

Every conspiracy nut thinks there's something in one or another logo. But I never recall anybody being anti-logo in general.

Sure, maybe in the form of not advertising for another (the way MTV will blur logos in their "reality" TV shows so as to not have "free" advertising).

But, look at almost every one of their cars. Many cars have logos. The rings on Audis, the quadrisected circle on BMWs, the Ford logo on Fords. If they were against logos, they'd find ways to remove those.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit