JWs and Education

by cognac 26 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

Thank you all for your advice and input. Ava's having the core evaluation done soon which checks for disabilities and such.

It breaks my heart seeing her struggle...

• Heaven
    Heaven

Cognac, I am glad you are engaged in your daughter's learning and education and that you are getting her assessed. She sounds like she may have ADD. My nephew had/has this. He is super smart but had a lot of difficulty staying focused when he was younger.

Learning is a human need. I think it needs to be fun too.

I had a little trouble when I was young with some math formulas. Sometimes our brains are not always wired to deal with certain things that other people find easy. For me, when I find something difficult, I try to come up with a method to remember or figure it out. Spelling is one where I use a little song or poem or technique to help me figure it out.

Example... the word lieutenant. I struggled with the spelling of this word. Then, one day, I thought "Hey! This word can be broken up into a little funny phrase.... "Lie U Tenant". Hah!" I've never had difficulty with it since.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    You sound like a great mother to me. You've got great courage and determination in the welfare of your daughter, something many children have never and will never experience with their parents. Ava is very fortunate. Keep us informed!
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

cognac, kids have different aptitudes and rates of learning.

Tutoring is usually a good idea if a child is not able to keep up with the school work and/or is struggling with certain concepts (assuming of course the tutor is qualified).

Schools generally will NOT recommend tutoring, even when warranted, because doing so may legally obligate them to pay for it.

In reference to your mom, we have over a century of evidence conclusively proving that "the end is NOT right around the corner."

Your mom needs a tutor, on how to think!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

cognac: It breaks my heart seeing her struggle...

Don't let it. The struggle is good for her.

Nothing great was ever achieved without great effort.

• smiddy
    smiddy

cognac

You are obviously a well meaning parent and value the education of your child in todays society .

And there have been some excellent suggestions from our friends here.

my thoughts , for what there worth , are : Your child is only six years old ,could you be expecting too much from him/her ?

As somebody else mentioned here , rest and sleep are very important to the physical and mental development of young children , so if your going to cut back a little , do it in the mornings .

And above all don`t become obsessive with education as the be all and end all of your Childs development.

Look at some ` Documentary`s of the pressures put on Japanese students to succeed/perform by there parents

and look at the consequences of those who fail to meet there parents expectations in suicides , drugs , etc.

The reality is we can push children too far when they are too young for our own agenda, losing site of our Childs natural abilities.

You know your child , and you know how far you can go in encouraging and helping him/her .

I wish you both well in that journey for his/her future.

Just my 2 cents worth

smiddy

• KateWild
    KateWild

It's nice to see that you're concerned as to whether or not you strike the right balance.

Like most have said take your cues from your daughter. If she wants to study extra to keep up then support her. If she is happy being below average then support her with other interests and find her natural abilities.

A happy child is a healthy child.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit