Watchtower's "New Light" re Babylonish Captivity, November 2016 WT

by Room 215 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• blondie
    blondie

Good question, Room 215, they used the 3 1/2 year (42 months) period in that scripture to explain the captivity concept.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2014847#h=11:0-19:0

Who are the two witnesses mentioned in Revelation chapter 11?

Revelation 11:3 speaks of two witnesses who would prophesy for 1,260 days. The account then says that the wild beast would “conquer them and kill them.” But after “three and a half days,” these two witnesses would be brought back to life, much to the amazement of all onlookers.—Rev. 11:7, 11.

Who are these two witnesses? The details of the account help us to identify them. First, we are told that they “are symbolized by the two olive trees and the two lampstands.” (Rev. 11:4) This reminds us of the lampstand and two olive trees described in the prophecy of Zechariah. Those olive trees were said to picture “the two anointed ones,” that is, Governor Zerubbabel and High Priest Joshua, “standing alongside the Lord of the whole earth.” (Zech. 4:1-3, 14) Second, the two witnesses are described as performing signs similar to those performed by Moses and Elijah.—Compare Revelation 11:5, 6 with Numbers 16:1-7, 28-35 and 1 Kings 17:1; 18:41-45.

What is the common denominator that links these references? In each case, the account refers to God’s anointed ones who took the lead during a difficult time of testing. So in the fulfillment of Revelation chapter 11, the anointed brothers who took the lead at the time of the establishment of God’s Kingdom in heaven in 1914 preached “in sackcloth” for three and a half years.

At the end of their preaching in sackcloth, these anointed ones were symbolically killed when they were thrown into prison for a comparatively shorter period of time, a symbolic three and a half days. In the eyes of the enemies of God’s people, their work had been killed, causing those opponents much joy.—Rev. 11:8-10.

However, true to the words of the prophecy, at the end of the three and a half days, the two witnesses were brought back to life. Not only were these anointed ones released from prison but those who remained faithful received a special appointment from God through their Lord, Jesus Christ. In 1919 they were among those who were appointed to serve as a “faithful and discreet slave” to care for the spiritual needs of God’s people during the last days.—Matt. 24:45-47; Rev. 11:11, 12.

Interestingly, Revelation 11:1, 2 links these events to a time when the spiritual temple would be measured, or evaluated. Malachi chapter 3 mentions a similar inspection of the spiritual temple, followed by a time of cleansing. (Mal. 3:1-4) How long did this inspection and cleansing work take? It extended from 1914 to the early part of 1919. This period of time includes both the 1,260 days (42 months) and the symbolic three and a half days referred to in Revelation chapter 11.

How happy we are that Jehovah arranged for this spiritual refining work to cleanse a special people for fine works! (Titus 2:14) Additionally, we appreciate the example set by the faithful anointed ones who took the lead during that time of testing and thereby served as the symbolic two witnesses.*

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Blondie, there's a slight problem with their interpretation. They seem to conveniently avoid or ignore the identity of the beast from the abyss (Rev. 11:7, 8). This is actually the scarlet-colored wild beast, who "was, but is not, and about to ascend out of the abyss," which they identify as the League of Nations, later to become the United Nations (Rev. 17:8). Now, according to their definition, the beast "that ascends out of the abyss," killing the two witnesses, must be the United Nations. And this is where the first problem comes in. The League of Nations only came into existence in 1920. It wasn't around during World War I. The League was only created after the Great War, as a result of it. A footnote in the Revelation Climax-book (p. 167) backtracks and dishonestly calls this beast the beast from the sea by equating "abyss" with "sea."

Second problem is the chronological sequence of the seven seals, the three woes and the seven trumpet blasts. According to their theology, World War I started with the running horses, caused by the opening of the first four seals. The two witnesses are killed during the period of the sixth trumpet blast, ending the second woe, which would point to the future (cf. Rev. 9:12, 13; 11:15-18).

• steve2
    steve2

Propping up the prophetic house of cards becomes even more problematic the more they tinker with it.

So much for the recent Watchtower that detailed how the GB scrupulously ensures their adjustments in understanding fit in with other understandings.

Heaven forbid the rank and file JWs see that the GB have no more access to "truth" than anyone else on earth and that, when it comes to books such as Revelation, literally anything is up for grabs. Rock solid foundation. Not.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Eventually, they will need to scrap everything since it's all inter-related. It hasn't fit together (well it never did but at least it used to actually work on a timeline) in quite sometime. Every time they make a change, the rest of their interpretation suddenly doesn't fit.

Honestly, when they started making changes going back to the change in generation in 1995, that was an eyeopener for me and cracks began to form in my belief. Of course, like many here, I pushed it down and doubled down in my efforts. What an idiot!!

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

Room215

So now, how do they explain the "Two Witnesses in Sackcloth for 42 Months" of Revelation 11?
    Great point.
  • blondie
    blondie

vidqun, I merely report what the WTS has said, I do not support it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit