Just recovering from a 'Mormon Mind Melt' ...

by LoveUniHateExams 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I was in town centre about an hour ago to buy a shirt and tie for an upcoming job interview when I was stopped by a youngish, clean cut American young man (20-ish) in a cheap suit. My heart sank as I thought it was local JWs. To my slight relief, it was Mormons!

Elder so-and-so introduced himself as a Mormon and started to ask whether I believed in God or Jesus Christ. He had a German or Danish sounding surnamed that escapes me - I'll call him Elder Jensen

As I've been screwed over by JWism, not Mormonism, I chose not to say that I'm an exJW, and to go easy on him. I said that I come from a moderate Christian background, but I'm a scientist, recently-graduated from the local university.

I said that I accept evolution due to the abundant evidence, so reject creationism. At this point a local man & woman (50-ish) came up to me and introduced themselves as Mormons (I forget their names, too, but let's call them Fred & Vera - they're good northern names ).

Fred listened to my reasoning about science, and started talking about 'signs', a la Watchtower. I then told them that of all the times in history, today, in 2015, in the West, is the best time to be alive, what with the advances in medicine and science. I told them they should be glad that they're preaching in the West and not, say, in Russia (they might get beaten up) or in Saudi Arabia (they might get beheaded). They reluctantly agreed. As for his 'signs', I said that people are allowed to believe in what they like but it's just that: belief, not knowledge.

I tried to be open minded and say that I don't know whether God exists, and that evolution doesn't necessarily disprove his existence. I also said that if an invisible, magical God does exist, we scientists couldn't collect empirical data in support of his existence or against it. Then Fred hit me with: "we actually believe God is made of flesh and bone" I kid you not! So I said, being a biologist, "bodies aren't perfect, but they do have defenses against dust, pathogens, etc. In what way does God have a perfect body of flesh and bone?"

Fred: "It's perfect - it has no blemishes, disease, imperfections ..."

Me: "you're telling me what it isn't but you're not telling me what it is - you're not defining perfect"

I then said "look, don't be offended, but it's just how my mind works - if an angel approached God and punched him, would God get a bruise?"

Vera: "we don't know that much"

This made me squirm inside, because I can just imagine that JWs are similarly fake-modest.

They tried to push the Book of Mormon on me but I said "no, I'll look at your website instead!"

Apart from details of doctrine, I was struck by how similar they were to the JWs. The Book of Mormon had the same plastic hardback, gold-coloured lettering as the NTW Bible. It could almost have been printed by the WTS!

I'd be interested to hear about any experiences you've had with Mormons.

Also, my anti-witnessing - how did I do? What did I do well, where did I go wrong?

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

I don't know how you endured that long, but kudos to you for hanging in there! And I've heard some wacko things from ex-mormons, but that's the first time I've heard about g*d being a physical creature. Thanks for sharing this!

I am also struck by how similar these two "religions" are. With that in mind, and with all the similarities that have been mentioned on this board between jws and mormons, will any of us be surprised one day to find that there's a large, fabulously wealthy international corporation called Religion, Inc. that markets most of the worldwide religions?

One does have to wonder about these huge money-making businesses (disguised as religions) that are focused on Wealth Management rather than Helping People.

For those who believe: What would Jesus say?

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    *Names in this article have been changed.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

You know the world's turned upside down when hardcore Tolkein fans hate Middle-Earth movies, the biggest country stars record pop albums, and people would rather talk to Mormon missionaries then JWs...

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    The last time I met Mormons I told them I had just left a cult and wasn't ready to join another one. But I told them that if those divine gold bars show up somewhere then I have the right to change my mind. They were very adamant that they had the one and only truth. I also complimented them on their organization (even though i called it a cult). I said, "at least your organization provides a college and degree for you to look forward to after you labor through your requisite two year ministry. My organization doesn't provide jack squat. They just take and take and take." They awkwardly shook my hand and skidaddled out of there.
  • Bonsai
    Bonsai
    Also, I asked them if they had apostates in their religion. They admitted that apostates were dangerous and prevalent. Like JWs they avoid them and refuse to debate doctrine with them.
  • Sabin
    Sabin
    The mormons must be getting something right or getting bigger blessings than the JW`s isn't there like 15 million of them. I remember telling my kid`s about their calendar & how good looking Mormon men had their pic`s taken without their shirts on with a bible in their hand, of corse they didn't believe me till I showed them on the net. They couldn't believe their eye`s. I gotta say they do have some very handsome young men in there. Caused a bit of controversy I believe.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman
    I'd be interested to hear about any experiences you've had with Mormons.

"The book of Mormon is from God because the angel said so, and the angel would not have said so if it was not from God, and besides that, the book of Mormon is better than the Bible, which is only the word of God as far as it can be translated correctly, that is not the case with the book of Mormon, because Salt Lake City is where the Garden of Eden use to be, and we have prophets today to prove it, and that is because we want your 10 percent, and never take off your holy underwear. And we know it is the truth because we have prophets that tell us, and God would not tell the prophets the truth unless they were prophets,-would he- and that is how we know they are prophets, because God speaks to them. In any case God would never lie. (Hey you want to have a lot of sex with as many wives as you can afford? -but you cannot have sex before marriage, it is a sin, and you must marry your wives before having sex.)" The Kings James Bible is the best because we like it and the reason we like it is becaiuse the book of Mormon quotes from the King James, and that is why KJV is the best.

"After billions of eons of time have passed, you will get to be God too over your own parallel universe. Bringum Young!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Keep bringing them young (especially the females.)

Tithe of 15 million Mormons revenue per year is a lot of hay.

I only have one question for you, can you support your views? "We don't know that much."

• cappytan
    cappytan

Fisherman: I'm not trying to pick a fight with you or anything, so please don't take this the wrong way. You are a paradox! It's interesting to me that you can easily and intelligently pick out the flawed logic and circular reasoning of Mormons, but completely overlook the flawed and circular reasonings of the JWs.

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    Good review of Mormons Fisherman! Now it's time to remove that blind spot and start examining your own religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit