Birthdays - I may need some input

by rocketman 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rocketman
    rocketman

We had a birthday "party" for my daughter at a local restaurant today, with a group of her friends invited. We are "inactive" but I still attend some meetings. I do not comment or want any 'privilages'.

Anyway, one person whom my daughter invited is a jw, though she has said that she may want to get out soon. She does attend regularly with her parents for now. My concern is that she will tell other jws that we had a birthday celebration (there were balloons there, though no candles; some kids bought gifts) and that the elders may come knocking soon. Any input from you guys/gals as to what suggestions you might have for us if this indeed does happen would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PS - while at the restaurant, the girl got a call on her cell phone from a jw friend. She told that friend that she was at the party and that it was for my daughter's birthday (she actually asked my daughter if it was okay to say that before she said it, and my daughter said okay. I wish she hadn't). Thus, it looks like the gossip wheel is already in motion.

Any suggestions?

• myself
    myself

In your most serious voice assure the elders that no one was beheaded or hung, (especially the baker) as a result of this bithday party. Someone has quoted some scriptures on this sight showing that Job's family observed a birthday, but I haven't looked it up, so I couldn't tell you where to find it.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

In my opinion, this doesn't sound good...

It's a foregone conclusion that there will be talk, and it was a birthday party, and the words were actually used, I think you can expect a door knock any day...

• Dansk
    Dansk

Rocketman,

You’re inactive, you’ve held a birthday party and you frequently post here. What’s the problem? Have you still got family in? If not, don’t fear the men in suits, they’re full of garbage and love their positions. Stay away from the KH and don’t give the elders the time of day – you owe them NOTHING!

Dansk

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Just don't open the door, bro. That's all it takes. If they try to corner you, threaten legal action. Try new stuff. Hey, whatever works, just don't be afraid of them. It's your life.

ash

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I understand your concern, Rocketman! And please wish your daughter a Happy Birthday from me! My kids spent the night (probably for the last time) with their Witness friends the beginning of March, ironically so me and Big Tex could go to the Dallas Apostafest, and while there invited the kids to Jackson's upcoming birthday party. Well, that earned me a surprise evening visit from their mom, who earnestly asked "what can I do to get you back to meetings?" I told her "nothing" and we had a spirited discussion for about an hour. She was shocked that Jennie told her daughter that the Bible didn't say anything about not celebrating birthdays. Good for her! My friend's last words were, "well, call me if you need me." Sounds like goodbye to me. So far I haven't had a visit from the elders so I don't think she tattled on me. Hope you get the same treatment! Keep us posted.

Nina

• rocketman
    rocketman

Thank you for the comments. Yes, I do have family "in" so I am somewhat concerned. Cruzanheart, I am hoping that the same thing happens here - that no one takes the info any further. And one thing that works to my advantage is that the girls who know are in a congregation that I left about 3 years ago. So hopefully, the gossip will not cross congregation lines.

• goldfish
    goldfish

Oh I`m sorry that you are in this situation. I do feel for you, But try to remember, you don`t owe them anything, and they can only hurt you if you let them! Try to remember that and take no notice of the attitude they might come out with. Elders cannot seperate you from God, even if they are mental enough to think they can! All the best, Goldfish.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

It's absolute none of their business.

• blondie
    blondie

I have never been able to find anywhere in the publications or the elder's special book that celebrating BDs is a DFiing offensen. You could loose privileges or be marked as bad assocation but not DF'd. Has anyone heard somethings else?

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit