Solar Eclipse - How Common is It?

by Sea Breeze 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze: You have to borrow your assumption from a biblical worldview in order to even argue against it.
    You have claimed this many times, but never demonstrated it. In other words, my god is better than yours.

@TonusOH: Your assumption about the reliability of logic is what I am questioning. If atheists assume accidental explosions, unguided chance, and chaotic chemical reactions explain of the origins of logic, why do they view logic as trustworty?

It is a ligitimate question which flows directly from atheist assumptions... not mine. No strawman there.

So far you've guessed because they work. Which I pointed out as the logical fallacy of irrelevant thesis. You've also suggested logic is produced by our minds. But, that doesn't make any sense because we all have different brain chemistry, IQ's, experiences etc.

Anything else?

So far, it is inconsistent. When a worldview is inconsistent it is very likely to be untrue.

@Jeffro

Sigh. No. You’re wrong.

From NASA:

"Uranus is also one of just two planets that rotate in the opposite direction than most of the planets. Venus is the other".

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

What a pathetic straw man. Atheism isn’t a position on cosmology at all.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

“Uranus rotates at a nearly 90-degree angle from the plane of its orbit. This unique tilt makes Uranus appear to spin sideways, orbiting the Sun like a rolling ball.”

Hence Uranus and Venus both have unique rotational aspects. But you go on continuing to miss the point.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Sea Breeze: If atheists assume accidental explosions, unguided chance, and chaotic chemical reactions explain of the origins of logic

I don't assume that any of those things explain the origins of logic. That is the strawman. I am pointing out that humans can reason, and we have learned to add structure to our reasoning ability, and this is what logic is. You are claiming that there is more to it than that, and that the existence of logic is dependent on the existence of god. How? How does god "design" logic? How does a universe without god make logic impossible?

Sea Breeze: But, that doesn't make any sense because we all have different brain chemistry, IQ's, experiences etc.

Again, I will point out that this is incoherent. There are many ways in which our brains work the same, regardless of differences in chemistry or IQ or experiences. Explain how these differences would make it impossible for two people to use logic. Don't just claim it; that doesn't address the issue at all.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    I don't assume that any of those things explain the origins of logic. That is the strawman. I am pointing out that humans can reason

So where do you think logic and reason came from that would make you so sure of their reliability?

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I've explained that- it comes from our brains. We have developed and learned to reason in order to make sense of our surroundings. Having developed that and refined it, we developed logic to make reason more reliable.

How do we know it is reliable? Because those have allowed us to make sense of our world and shape it to our needs. Logic itself is based on simple steps similar to the scientific method: observe, hypothesize, experiment, and so on. The results demonstrate its reliability.

I'm guessing that you're never going to answer my questions.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    [Logic] comes from our brains.

And in your view our brains come from where? Chance explosions, chemical accidents, dna copying mistakes?

Is that what you are saying gives you confidence in the reliability of logic?

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Sea Breeze: Is that what you are saying gives you confidence in the reliability of logic?

No. I explained what gives me confidence in the reliability of logic. It is literally in the post you are replying to. That is it. That is all. "Where the brain comes from" is your addition to the conversation. If where the brain comes from is an issue, explain why.

• Giles Gray
    Giles Gray

Sea Breeze - Of the 213 moons in our solar system, only ours provides a total solar eclipse.

This is incorrect.

The moon Charon also produces a total solar eclipse.

Is that a coincidence...?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Sea Breeze:

Your assumption about the reliability of logic is what I am questioning. If atheists assume accidental explosions, unguided chance, and chaotic chemical reactions explain of the origins of logic, why do they view logic as trustworty?
    It is a ligitimate question which flows directly from atheist assumptions... not mine. No strawman there.
    So far you've guessed because they work. Which I pointed out as the logical fallacy of irrelevant thesis. You've also suggested logic is produced by our minds. But, that doesn't make any sense because we all have different brain chemistry, IQ's, experiences etc.

Aside from the false equivalence conflating atheism with specific cosmological models, this navel gazing sophistry is meant to sound deep but it’s just the usual ‘god of the gaps’ argument from ignorance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit