Why Do People Become JWs?

by minimus 44 Replies latest jw friends

• stillin
    stillin

Only speaking for myself, I saw value. Principles that weren't really honored in the churches, like honesty, and pacifism, and loyalty. I really felt that these people were taking a solid stand against the "darkness" do the world. Like the ones who stood up to Hitler. This seemed like just the thing. The Bible seemed to be the key, the people were friendly, etc, etc ad nauseum.

So I joined, let myself be separated from my friends, I had new friends now. And I toughed out the details for more than 30 years until my bullshit meter started howling, "too much invisible shit! Too much invisible shit!" And I realized that knowing the "party line" to answer any questions is not true wisdom. Knowing when to say "I don't know" is the beginning of wisdom.

• Chook
    Chook

I think it's to do with JWs having the answer for EVERYTHING ! Its the emotional healing that people perceive when joining, it's the opposite of leaving when you realise it's emotional death that has been spoon fed , JWs loose any love for their fellow man because of the whole he is a worldly person.

• Alive!
    Alive!

stillin28 minutes agoOnly speaking for myself, I saw value. Principles that weren't really honored in the churches, like honesty, and pacifism, and loyalty. I really felt that these people were taking a solid stand against the "darkness" do the world. Like the ones who stood up to Hitler. This seemed like just the thing. The Bible seemed to be the key, the people were friendly, etc, etc ad nauseum.
    So I joined, let myself be separated from my friends, I had new friends now. And I toughed out the details for more than 30 years until my bullshit meter started howling, "too much invisible shit! Too much invisible shit!" And I realized that knowing the "party line" to answer any questions is not true wisdom. Knowing when to say "I don't know" is the beginning of wisdom.

My experience practically to a T.

Like you my 'bullshit' meter was screeching.

Since fading away, the madness seems to have intensified in the whole 'production'.

And after I had 'faded' I followed the Australia RC, watching each video.

I felt sick. I felt justified in walking away....I coukd not uphold this kind of behaviour, manipulative language and ducking and diving and 'recruit' hopeful seekers into this organisation.

Clearly something as terribly wrong.

• JW On The Loose
    JW On The Loose

For me, I met a born in JW who I fell in love with. He was a rebel and was going to university at the time he met me. His congregation back at home and his parents discouraged college. When the elders saw the direction he was headed, they used him as an example and stripped him of everything. I felt bad for him and loved him so I knew the only way things could get better would be if I converted and dropped out of school. Thank goodness I went to a congregation that actually encouraged university because the schoo wais most of the territory...

I started studying with the witnesses and convinced myself I wasn't good enough before. I told my family that I was a terrible sinner with no hope for the future. My family allowed me to make the choice to get baptized but reminded me that I was adequate and foolish for giving my all to nothing.

Years went by and I became a super dub. Me and the guy got married and had a child. The birth of our child woke my husband up and he spent time getting be out. Didn't help that all of my friends were JWs and I worried my child would die anyday in Armageddon.

We are now both out and I'm left thinking "that was a ridiculous moment of my life, oh well". I was young and dumb.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Speaking about my parents who were the ones who joined (I was born in too), what I see is the Wt gave my mother a lot of good things that she otherwise thought she would never get. Hope, literacy, friends, a community, a sense of belonging, a way of using her skills. She was later "blessed" because her alcoholic violent husband also joined.

Many people are lonely and need a sense of community and belonging. My father didn't have opportunities to learn and study anything and in came the Wt to bring him the opportunity to learn something and be able to teach it to others, and even have a position of leadership.

Other people I know have joined as a way to stay away from drugs, or to escape (or have an explanation for) bad family situations.

Using terms like dumb or lazy, I think is a little misleading in most cases, though I do know that there are people who love having everything explained and given to them, or don't want to face life on their own. The cult shields them from doing so, and they are happy living that way (or so they seem).

Intelligence has nothing to do with what a person feels or their ability to handle their own emotions. The Wt and other cults capitalize in what other people are missing in their lives at a point when they feel that it's important to them.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Why? I don't know. I always thought I wouldn't have been one if my parents hadn't accepted it. It doesn't fit with my personality. Having said that, I felt that I examined it to the best of my ability as a young adult and stayed in it and was never in trouble in the congregation although I had the opportunity to be. I witnessed at school and in the my work place, bringing a teacher to the kingdom hall and later a work mate.

I think when my parents accepted it with the information that they had and later I had it made sense.

• Alive!
    Alive!

It's worth pointing out that this....

My initial intro to a JW was an intelligent, articulate and kind woman, successful in business, creative and a knock out sense of humour. She then introduced me to a small group of her friends....it would be hard not to like them.

Our studies were interesting....we talked for hours. When I went along to my first meeting I was impressed by the articulate and meaningful answers given at the Watchtower study, and the 'talk' would have been excellent. (Can't remember the title, but I know I was absolutely intrigued)

The congregation was mixed race, very well groomed and I was introduced to brothers and sisters who were clearly smart, successful and yet earnest and eager about the Bible.

My own 'worldly' friends and extended family were also entirely comfortable with meeting and mixing with my JW friends and had nothing bad to say about them.

Believe me, it's a powerful mix.

Think of the many forum members here who write with sincerity, who capture our attention....who are respected - well imagine such characters being JWs....imagine being taught 'what the bible really teaches' by some of the clearly fine folk here.....such 'teaching' in such hands is highly persuasive....and impressive.

Dont underestimate how 'good' it looks and feels from a non-witness perspective.

There are some darn good people who were/are teaching God in the JW way - Some of those people are here in this forum.

I know many, many JWs who would really impress.....and by their very manner and apparent way of life would disarm immediate suspicion.

Think about it.

• Alive!
    Alive!

By the way.....back in the 80s it was different.

Full and comprehensive answers were welcomed from the brothers and sisters.....not the pared down sentences lifted up from the publications.

Again....impressive.

• stillin
    stillin

Alive is right. Sincerity was not missing back in the 70's and 80's. Talks and comm nuts from the audience were often from the heart, including personal experiences and (gasp!) mistakes made.

Now it seems to be all processed mush. Stray from the outline too far and you will be meeting up with a tribunal of elders. If your comments aren't found in the paragraph, you are viewed suspiciously, and maybe not called on to answer as often.

I have to admit, when I was "studying" I had to dumb myself down to fit in with my study conductor, and I put way too many things "on the back burner." But the overall scope of the religion was good, racially integrated, solid issues to be made solid about, so that when they came up, you knew the actual principles that were at the forefront. The whole "pagan roots" thing makes sense if you actually think God cares about that kind of thing.

But now it seems like issues are pulled out of their ass. They just want the r&f to feel separate from the rest of the world, even if it really is no big deal.

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

I think people who become witnesses are looking for something outside mainstream religions that provides them with answers. JWs seem to do that superficially. There is also the lure of being part of a group and there are alot of nice JWs out there. At first glance, it seems like a nice bunch - it's not until you've been in a while that you start seeing all the major flaws.

New converts are usually vulnerable also in some way- in alot of cases I can think of- people have been ignored or feel isolated and here comes a group of JWs paying alot of attention to them and being super nice. Of course that's going to make an impression. And people might start feeling this false sense of "I know something that others do not" like you've discovered something that everyone else couldn't decipher, but here you are diligently studying the Bible and you're surrounded by a group of people who feel the exact same way. That's powerful stuff. You're all in this together- you suddenly have a purpose (preach!) and you know exactly what's going to happen in the future. Sadly, the euphoria doesn't last long....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit