questions for those who were once elders

by enoughisenough 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I watched some Wendi Renay youtube videos. The former elder who was being interviewed mentioned a couple of things I noted. I would like to know what your reactions were at the time you learned what I am going to relate if you had the same or kindred experience.

One thing he mentioned was the circuit overseer told them ( the elders ) that they were the angels in the congregations. Did this happen to you? How did it make you feel? Did it make you feel superior to the rest of the brothers and sisters? Did you think about it? Did you agree with it? If you didn't agree with it, what did you do about it? How do you feel/ think about it now verses then?Anything else you want to add.

The other thing I noted was what he related they were taught in Elder's school: The Bible was written for the anointed-the only way the rest of the world gets salvation is by their relationship with the anointed. ( I think I got that right -and he may be reading this for all I know and correct me if I misrepresented anything he said. ) So if you were taught this in Elder school, How did it make you feel? Did you think about it? Did you agree with it? If you didn't agree with it, what did you do about it? If you did agree with it, how would you have explained it to the sheep you were supposed to be sheparding? How do you think about it now verses then? Anything else you want to add ( "enquiring minds want to know.")

• Hellothere
    Hellothere

Organisation believes angels guard over congregations. Like in book of revelation. Not that elders are angels. Plus they believe new testament was written for the 144.000.

• James Jack
    James Jack

Trust me, this is what the Organization teaches the Elders. Why do you think all the publishers say let me ask the Elders? Why do all the publishers say let me check with the Elders first.

• Ding
    Ding

My question for those who were elders is, "How much backbiting / cliquishness did you experience within the group of elders?"

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Most Elders I find where nothing more then unit managers. Their advice was very lame and for Watchtower benefit only never for the person seeking it.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    The other thing I noted was what he related they were taught in Elder's school: The Bible was written for the anointed-the only way the rest of the world gets salvation is by their relationship with the anointed.

This is THE central doctrine of the WT. They don't flaunt it though, Mainly they try to keep you so busy on the hamster wheel you are just too busy to think for yourself. And, a lot of people really just want somebody to tell them what to do. But rest assured, if you try believing on one of the MANY promises in the NT and you talk about it.... Then, they are quick to point out that those promises and guarantees don't apply to you. They want you to never be quite sure of where you stand with god.

"Now back to work you vermin... I mean good-for-nothing slaves".

3d business people illustration. Businessman running on a hamster wheel.  Isolated white background Stock Photo - Alamy

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Nuffy - Elder's schools were a boring waste of time. All word salad and COs being bullies. Following along and watching .demonstrations(tm) from the Elder's manual about how to deal with situations. Yawnfest.

There were those that came away saying how encouraging(tm) it all was. I just tbought it was sh1t but dare not say. I'd smile and nod but keep my trap shut.

Angels? Never heard anything like that. We were always hounded about how we could be better.

Bible for the Anointed(tm), never heard anything like that at Elder school(tm).

Ding - "How much backbiting / cliquishness did you experience within the group of elders?"

Lots. I never made it into the clique. The clique that always got used on A$$emb£ies were the most arrogant pigs of the lot.

It was so depressing, I needed to drink to numb the cog-dis.

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I've never heard that elders are angels statement.

But then again you have to remember that a lot of what the CO said was the opinion of that particular CO. I discovered that something a CO said about the 1st Century Christian church from the platform was not true after doing my own fact-checking. After that I fact checked most statements for myself - probably something that started the blinkers falling off my eyes!!

I do agree with the 2nd point as it was often said at meetings. The Hebrew Scriptures were written for the Jews, and the Christian Scriptures were written by and for people who had a heavenly hope. But are of interest to the "other sheeples" while not applying to them directly.

It's why the WT applies a lot of the Mosaic Law to the congregation, they're not under the Law, but it is stuck on them to obey in parts.

It's also why a brother or sister queries something they read in the Bible's NT and are told "but that doesn't apply to you, it's for the anointed ones only."

• Chezdale
    Chezdale

Hello eno..

definitely we were taught in elders meeting by co's that we, as elders were very special.

Angels? well yes,kinda.. We relayed "messages" to the congregation.

I remember distinctly being instructed at an elders school that we AS ELDERS were in the outstretched right hand of Jesus as STARS. as described at Rev 1:16

We were Stars! Not kidding it is scriptural (they said). here is just a couple of teachings

in print. I found dozens like this in the official WT library.

All these quotes frm WT are describing what is taught using Revelation 1:16

1989 WT April 1

These seven congregations of anointed Christians were represented as seven lampstands, and the anointed elders within them were represented as seven stars in the right hand of Christ. By this vivid image, John saw that faithful Christian congregations must be light bearers, like lighted lampstands in a darkened world. Jesus’ holding the elders in his right hand showed that he leads the elders, guiding and governing them.

What is indicated by the elders’ being in the right hand of Jesus?

8 Since Jesus is the Head of the congregation, the elders are properly said to be in his right hand, that is, under his control and direction.

• w92 7/1 pp. 14-19 - The Watchtower—1992

Faithful, respected anointed overseers are depicted in the book of Revelation as being held in Jesus’ right hand, that is, under his control and direction.

2012 Oct 15

To avoid that kind of spirit, we can remember that Jesus is pictured in the Bible as having “in his right hand seven stars.” The “stars” represent the anointed overseers and, by extension, all the overseers in the congregations. Jesus can direct the “stars” in his hand in any way he feels appropriate. Thus, as Head of the Christian congregation, Jesus has full control of the bodies of elders. If someone on a body truly needs correction, the One who has “eyes as a fiery flame” will see to it that this is done in His own time and way. In the meantime, we maintain proper respect for those appointed by holy spirit

(Many more direct quotes from the book and magazines if you need them)

we were the STARS in Jesus hand in Rev 1:16!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FOOLEDNOMORE:

I tend to agree with you there. Their advice was almost never for the benefit of the person seeking it.

What I had noticed in the years prior to my ‘Fade’ (and which annoyed me) was that the religion seemed to be ‘elevating’ the perception they wanted the rank & file to have of the elders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit