Why are some that post here JW apologists?

by ctrwtf 47 Replies latest jw friends

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Thinking can be quite addictive once you get over the initial fear and anxiety about it being a tool of the devil.

Now whenever I 'm in a fix I don't think phil 4:6 I think ...I think...I just think, and I also google it.

• DJS
    DJS

Sparrowdown (aka one of my faves),

". . . And I also Google scholar it.""

There, I fixed that for you.

• New day
    New day

I'm kind of with Stephane Laliberte on this one. I started reading on this forum about two and a half years ago. All as a consequence of the famous July 2013 Watchtower study which really got the ball rolling on all the recent changes. Since then I have read both of Ray Franz's books. But I am still 'sort of in.' I don't believe a lot of it anymore, but my wife is very much a believer and would be totally crushed if she knew the true extent of my doubts. She suspects something but wants to keep the status quo so it's 'don't ask, don't tell.'

It's complicated.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

There are things JWs have gotten right such as no trinity, no hellfire, not going to heaven after death, chronology from what the Bible gives (not that it is right but it is right from what little the Bible gives).

• cofty
    cofty
    There are things JWs have gotten right such as no trinity, no hellfire, not going to heaven after death, chronology from what the Bible gives - Rattigan

I agree the trinity is a post-biblical construct.

Hellfire can easily be read into the text in a few places but it so can annihilationism. Take your pick.

Conscious existence after death is not in the OT but it is in the NT. When facing trial at Rome Paul can't decide whether he would rather be allowed to live or die and go to be with the Lord.

WT chronology is shambolic.

• Simon
    Simon
    There are things JWs have gotten right such as no trinity, no hellfire, not going to heaven after death

I think there is a difference between "getting something right" and "not going along with something that's wrong". It really gives them too much credit to say "they get something right" in that well, we all have gotten something right by not joining and believing any number of whacky cults and their beliefs.

It's not really the same as actually getting something right. It's just failing to make one particular bad decision. Hardly a huge achievement.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Cofty said " I agree the trinity is a post-biblical construct.".

JW's will read that, accurate, comment, and smugly settle down to drink in more Org rubbish.

What they do not think about is that EVERY one of their unique doctrines is a post-biblical construct.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Deep down, "apologists" - even the mild ones - are really just trying to convince themselves.

Know how I know?

'Cause that's why I did it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit