Are JWs the most gossiping people on earth?

by Londo111 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

We all gossip. It is only human. Watchtower actually tries to instruct adherents not to gossip and it can land a JW in front of a judicial committee—some do try to follow this admonition. But then, that doesn’t seem to contain the storm.

And there are likely other groups that might outdo JWs, but do you believe that JWs gossip more than average?

I suspect that the heavily judgmental nature of the organization, the many rules that make mountains out of anthills, and so forth, the announcements of judicial decrees, the midweek pioneer cargroups, set the conditions that make gossip not only inevitable, but rampant.

Take the bunker videos at the recent convention, where folks sat around and gossiped about “Kevin”. It is almost an instructional video teaching people to gossip about those who are not towing the line.

• Chook
    Chook

In any organisation the higher the control the more they qualify for the golden gossip award, im afraid JW hold the Oscar .

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

The gossip-mill is the most powerful tool in the hands of the society, both from a local congregation level, right up to the highest level of the society!

Elders use it strategically to ensure that people are spoken ill of, even if no judicial action can actually be taken!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

The way witnesses use the "tool" of gossip is no different to the way Satan supposedly spoke with Eve to plant seeds of doubt in her mind.

"is it really so...?"

They do just the same, by casually dropping comments about someone in just a way that causes doubt, reservation and in turn miss-trust amongst fellow witnesses...or ones who have faded....

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

That's what they say.

• ZAPPA-ESQUE
    ZAPPA-ESQUE

Londo ...............between You and Me .......and I heard this from a good source ..................who said that they are the worst !

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

They use it as a way of keeping tabs on people ( grass to elders), instill fear in people ( to behave like the herd or be marked), information control ( dont talk about child abuse within the cong or its slander its not keeping kids safe, for example)

• Londo111
    Londo111

I've often thought pioneers were the worst. Of course, it is inevitable driving around all day in a car group to not bring up what's going on in the congregation. Try as people might to avoid it, all topics will eventually be exhausted.

It's part of pioneer culture as much as creative ways of getting one's time in.

• Island Man
    Island Man

I don't know if they're the most gossiping people on earth. But the very judgmental nature of the religion with the many man-made rules forbidding or discouraging innocuous things like men having beards and women wearing pants to the meeting creates a large content-set of faults to see in others and gossip about.

Also the level of secrecy surrounding the reasons for someone being announced as no longer being one of Jehovah's Witnesses, naturally arouses curiosity and speculation and, inevitably, gossiping.

So the JW culture is one that is very conducive to gossip. But I don't know if they're the most gossiping.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Are JWs the most gossiping people on earth?

It`s one of the 3 Preferred Hobbies in Watchtower World..

Gossiping..

Image result for Gossip

Drinking..

Image result for drunk emoticon

Judging..

Image result for finger pointing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit