Survey: How long were you in the cult vs what year you were baptized

by ILoveTTATT2 155 Replies latest jw friends

• incognito2014
    incognito2014

I am really surprised that no one picked up on my earlier comments.

The whole survey is destined to fail.

A person who “came in” in 2010 cannot possibly have done 40 years because there has not been 40 years since then. So the people who came in longer ago will on average have stayed in longer before leaving and the people who recently came in and left will have on average left more quickly.

It’s like saying that people born in the 60’s live longer than people born in the 90's because they are older!

Or if I am losing the plot please tell me.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

incognito2014: I am really surprised that no one picked up on my earlier comments.

I saw your comment on page 11 if that's the one you meant. You're not the only one that has made similar comments. See pages 9 - 11.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I'm a 3rd generation Dub (but I guess by the new definition for generation I am a first generation Dub ... lol)

Was handed a Watchtower upon exiting the womb.

Grandfather and father both elders (earlier called Servants in one form or another)

Baptized when I was 11 (with both Grandfather and father in their positions, I had to do it early).

Still in ... and loving it (lol).

Rub a Dub

• Mephis
    Mephis
    Hi Mephis,
    So essentially 0 years? Can you estimate perhaps the months?

I was fading before baptism. :D But I'm sure I'm not alone in having done the baptism thing whilst a non-believer and for family reasons rather than my own beliefs. Just put me down as 0 I guess? Otherwise you're working with minus numbers!

• Simon
    Simon
    Or if I am losing the plot please tell me

You are correct but we can measure potential time in the WTS and how quickly people leave vs how long they have been in.

i.e. are more people who have been in 10 years now leaving sooner vs how long it took people to leave a decade ago.

Of course we have to account for the window of opportunity. You don't know what interesting patterns statistics will show until you capture and collate them.

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

Forced in aged 2.5 in 1970

Baptized 1982

Left officially in 2005, but had been inactive since 2002.

Total prison time: 35 years

Years of happiness, freedom, love: 10 priceless years!

• Stealth
    Stealth

Converted with family at age 5 in 1966

Baptized: 1978

Left: 2001

In for: 23 years

The internet played a big roll in my exit.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

1) Raised

2) baptized in 1988 at 16 (because i thought i had no option)

3) 2011 (August 2011 was last meeting. never went back after a couple of years of serious doubt)

23 years baptized but whole life until 39 trapped. 4 years of amazing freedom!

My exit was 99% due to what i saw and experienced over the years as opposed to the internet sparking it. Once i was out, the internet solidified my choice and continues to help in the evolution of my beliefs. Had i the guts years ago to search the internet i may have left much sooner.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

1) Convert

2) 1986

3) 2010

Time in: 24 years

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Convert. 1st contact and study 1984

Baptised 1998 after 3rd study

Out 2009

Share this