Evolution is a Fact #21 - Footprints in the Sand

by cofty 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Back in the Pliocene epoch a volcano called Sadiman erupted depositing a layer of ash across the landscape. Some time later it rained at Laetoli in modern day Tanzania turning the ash into wet cement.

Birds and animals walked across the cement, then Sadiman erupted again sealing the footprints under a second layer of ash.

Fast-forward to 1976. A team of paleontologists led by Mary Leakey are searching for human origins on the Serengeti Plain when Andrew Hill ducks out the way of elephant dung being thrown at him by a colleague. He lands on top of the fossilised animal prints. In 1978 further excavation revealed not just animal prints but an 88 foot long trail of hominid footprints.

The early humans who left the trail belonged to the same group as Lucy known as Australopithecus afarensis. Despite being 3.6 million years old their footprints are hardly distinguishable from those of modern humans. Unlike apes their big toes were in line with the rest of their toes and their gait was heel-strike followed by heel-off just like modern humans.

Volcanic ash is a perfect medium for radiometric dating, I will post details about the process in a future thread in this series but you can see an excellent resource here..

Initial investigation suggested there were prints of three individuals - two walking together with a third smaller individual walking behind and stepping in the footsteps of one of the others. The tracks were covered up to protect them but in February 2011 a section was re-excavated for evaluation as a future museum site. Using a photographic technique that provides high-resolution three-dimensional views of the footprints it was determined that it is more likely that four individuals made the prints. One individual's right foot was angled strangely compared with the left foot possibly indicating a disability.

Fossil remains of approximately 300 Australopithecus afarensis individuals have been discovered and this is just one of many species of our ancestors. These small-brained hominids were walking upright just like us. Perhaps they had fun making the prints just as Andrew Hill's game led to their discovery 3.6 million years later.

Evolution is a Fact - Index #1-20

• cofty
    cofty

Interesting short video about the protection of the footprint trail

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    In our Kingdom Hall there is a book that shows human and dinosaur footprints together. I think it's called Genesis and the Flood.
  • cofty
    cofty

Yes those pics are all over creationist websites.

Paluxy River Tracks...

The Rise and Fall of the Paluxy Mantracks..

• cofty
    cofty

Correction - In paragraph 4 it should read "heel-strike followed by toe-off just like modern humans.".

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I have a question. Why do the tracks have to be as old as the material that they were preserved in? The material that the ash is made from is old, because the Earth is old. How do we know the tracks are that old?

If you find a wooden chair made from a 10,000 year old tree, that does not mean the chair was made 10,000 years ago. Does that question even make sense?

DD

• cofty
    cofty

The footsteps are in volcanic ash.

The Argon-Argon radiometric clock is reset to zero.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

If you find a wooden chair made from a 10,000 year old tree, that does not mean the chair was made 10,000 years ago. Does that question even make sense? DD

I think that you are asking that if scientists found a flint tool made from a stone that they determined to be a billion years old, how would they know with any reasonable certainty that the tool is of the same age as the stone?

If that is what you are asking, the age of the tool should not be determined using only the "dating method" that scientist used to formulate the age of the stone that was used to make the tool, obviously more evidence is needed to extrapolate the date of the tool.

If I were a scientist, I would not go to Africa to find million year old humanoids buried inches above ground, I would go to Cuba and only after a couple of days or so I am going to find "Desi's" elbow waiting for me, sticking out of the earth. I will write books and become very famous and rich.

• cofty
    cofty

Gibberish.

Please try to grasp at least the basics of what you are trying to criticise. I cringe with embarrassment when I read your bizarre ramblings. It is nothing like dating a flint tool.

You can only make prints in volcanic ash before it sets. The Argon-Argon radiometric clock is reset at that point.

The date Sadiman erupted depositing a layer of ash, and four Australopithecus afarensis walked across it can be determined with a high degree of accuracy.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I'm not criticizing. I don't quite understand all of the charts. I'll watch the video asap.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit