Got a call, my dad is in hospice...

by dubstepped 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Our last conversation was him yelling at me because I "loved the gays". Translation, I pointed out that nobody chooses their sexuality. Anyway. I've been shunned since DAing last September, and really for a year or so after visiting my DF'ed brother.

So I get a call this morning from mom that he's in hospice, and one last chance to see him. I made sure that he actually wanted to see me. Anyway, we went and it was nice. My mom told me it would go however I wanted. She ran off other JWs and may have lost a friend over it, just so we could see him. The conversations went well, and I said goodbye and that I loved him for the first time I can remember. Everyone should die with dignity.

Anyway, the real point of this is to point out how absurd shunning is, something I pointed out to my mom. So we can come today, and whenever we want until he passes, and hang out and laugh, and even have hospic workers comment on the love on the room, but once he dies we're effectively dead too. How insanely freaking stupid is that. I made sure to point out that it was hard to get called in from shunning to pitch relief in the bottom of the 9th. It's crazy how they turn relationships on and off at will.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

A high controlling Org.

Sorry.

DY

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I'm glad you had a positive experience with him. That's important. You don't want your last memory of him to be him yelling at you.I'm sorry, dubstepped.

(You have a cool name by the way)

• Hecce
    Hecce

Sorry about your dad and I admire your human quality.

Regards

• Lostwun
    Lostwun

Dub I just want to offer my sincere condolences for what you are going through right now. I'm sorry your father is not doing well.

I am glad that you were at least afforded the opportunity to speak to him and relay your love.

I do hope your mom and family see the ridiculousness behind the whole shunning matter and loosen up on their stance. Maybe by what they have done already by removing all the jw's so you could visit your father is a sign that they could be at least be seeing the stupidity of leaving you out of family matters.

You guys are in my thoughts and prayers during this time. Keep strong man. HUGS!!!

Lost

• millie210
    millie210

Dear Dub,

I think what you said about being called in to pitch at the bottom of the ninth was so well put. That is just so true isnt it?

With that said, the fact that the hospice caregivers commented on the love in the room says so much about you and your character.

Lots of good thoughts to you as you go through this with your family. :heart:

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Thanks my fellow aposta-peeps. It's such a messed up situation. My brother has been shunned for 13-15 years? and I let him know what was going on. He'd have to fly in if he was to come, and he's so torn about it all.

I do know one thing. No way would I go to a memorial service at a KH for him. My saying goodbye today was the end of the road. My brother won't go to a JW memorial either. There are certain brothers at my parents' congregation that would leave on stretchers if they were their snarky selves to me, and I couldn't stand to listen to their marketing pitch under the guise of being about my dead dad.

It was nice to be included. I respect my mom wholeheartedly for her handling of this. She tried to forbid brothers from stopping by to make sure that what energy dad had left went to his family. Of course, some brothers came anyway because they have no boundaries. But mom has always been her own person. She'll either wake up through this experience or she'll hold on even tighter to her dubdom.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    It sounds like you are definitely going to have a semblance of a relationship with your mom at the end of this. But how sad if she doesn't, and loses two sons to the crazy religion. Maybe you can let her know you didn't disassociate yourself from HER, just the religion, and you will always love her and be there for her and she can reach out to you anytime.
  • under the radar
    under the radar

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, dubstepped. I was with both my parents when they entered hospice, my mom in 2007 and my dad in 2010. Certain family members decided on their own to start shunning me (to varying degrees) after my mom passed. They didn't interfere with my spending the nights in dad's room (so he'd never be alone) and we had normal conversations about his condition and planning for how to handle things afterward. However, when it came to his memorial service, I was warned not to show up at the gathering afterwards for the "friends" or there would be a scene. I decided to let them wallow in their piety and self-righteousness in peace.

I'm very glad your mom is clearing the path for you to spend some time with your dad. That's very classy of her. I hope you can maintain a close relationship with her after this is over. She's gonna need you, whether she realizes it or not.

Stay strong, my friend.

• zeb
    zeb
    DS: Your humanity shines as a morning star to say that the brightest star the sun is on its way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit