If you don't enjoy working with the public choose another career.

by James Mixon 22 Replies latest jw friends

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I'am sure you have come across someone with that type of personality, working in sales, clerk, waitress or waiter. Most are nice but once in a while you come across that person that needs to choose a different career.

This morning I met that person, she just screwed up my day. I'm thinking maybe her day wasn't a good start,a fight with her husband, bills or children but don't screw up my day. This particular clerk have a nasty attitude I have seen it before.

So when you come across an angry sales person what do you do????

• Simon
    Simon

You don't know what moron they may have just had to deal with. Many people seem to do the reverse - when they are having a bad day they take it out on someone who's simply trying to do their job at a checkout or wherever.

It doesn't matter who you are, you are not automatically 'better' than the person who is bagging your groceries and have no right to treat them badly. It also doesn't cost anything to give someone the benefit of the doubt - they may be having the worst day ever, do they need you to make it worse?

There's no need to be rude in return but if there is a pattern of behaviour or it's extreme I will email the company to let them know or chose not to shop there again.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door
    Leave a review on yelp. It improves your day drastically.
  • talesin
    talesin

If that person is truly over the top, I will speak to management, and tell them exactly what transpired. Also, that my money will be spent elsewhere, where I am treated with respect.

A few years ago, I went to the supermarket to buy a piece of fish for my cat. It was 20 minutes before closing, and the woman at the fish counter had already cleared the display cases and put the product in the walk-in. I asked for 1 fillet of haddock. She was clearly annoyed that I had interrupted her routine, and had to go into the walk-in to get my fish. .

When I got home and opened the package, the fish was dirty - she had obviously thrown it on the floor before she wrapped it. The next day, I went back to the store, and asked to see the manager. He told me she had had numerous complaints already for her attitude, and would be dealt with.

**edit to retype the paragraph that disappeared**

Three weeks later, my friend's mother got a new job. At the supermarket. At the fish counter, because they had to fire a bad employee.

(Note that this is a unionized shop, and the clerk must have had quite the record to lose her job,)

If someone has to take a sales job (which they hate) to make ends meet, I feel bad for them, BUT. Do your job, and suck it up! Especially if you are in a union, and lucky enough to have the wage and bennies that go with it.

xx

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Simon: I wasn't rude and I understand I worked in sales for years.

This is what happen, the clerk said my items comes to $20.85

I gave her $21.00. So she turn to me and repeated it's $20.85.

So I said $28.05. She, no sir 20.85 and stood there looking at me.

There are folks standing behind me looking at me like I can't count.

So I ask again, did you say 20.85 or 28.05. She is standing there with my 21.00.

Once again she said , sir 20.85.

OK, it's early and my mind have not caught up with the rest of the world, WTH.

So after a few seconds she looks at the money in her hand and rung up the sale.

I felt like an idiot walking out.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

the girl next door; that's a good idea.

talesin: I have done that before "speak to the management" and in each case that person had numerous complaints.

Jobs are hard to come by these days and hate to think I caused someone to lose theirs job.

• talesin
    talesin

I thought of that, and it bothered me for about 2 seconds. But food handlers can't be acting like that - she deserved to lose her job. She obviously didn't appreciate having it.

; )

• Simon
    Simon

When it comes to food there are no excuses: anyone tampering with someone's food deserves to lose their job immediately IMO.

A mixup over change? C'mon - we've all had those brain fart moments. How hard is it to say "sorry, I'm sure I gave you $21 and that should cover it, did I mishear you?"

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Simon: that is exactly what i said,"did I hear you correctly. That when she looked at the money

in her hand and realized I gave her the correct amount. It would have been nice if

she said I'm sorry sir you gave me the correct amount.

I know it sound silly but it messed up my day. LOL

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    She said the total was 2o.85 and you gave her 21.00 sounds like you heard her say 20.85 the first time, you gave her the correct amount to begin with,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit