Nisan 14 or not?

by LostintheFog1999 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

So am I correct in reading that the JW argue that Jesus celebrated Passover a day early on Shabbat? This would have been extremely controversial in both scripture and historians would argue about it today. Also, where would they get the preparation of the room and the lamb, Jewish people at the time would be outraged, also then the Passion would occur during Jewish Passover (which is technically 2 days), no Rabbi, Pharisee or Sadducee would be caught dead ‘working’ on convicting Jesus on those days, no mob would have formed. It only makes sense that Jesus did a ‘regular’ Jewish Passover and then after, when he was on the Mount of Olives the next day had begun, then the mob came out, he was tried and convicted.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

“That meal ( Last Supper) took place late on Thursday evening, March 31, 33 C.E. Jesus died on a torture stake on Friday afternoon, April 1.” WT 4/15/04

Obviously the Last Supper was not on “Good Friday” evening cuz JC was dead. A little thinking is involved just a tiny bit.

For those who do not like to think:

https://www.hebcal.com/converter?gd=1&gm=4&gy=0033&g2h=1you

no Rabbi, Pharisee or Sadducee would be caught dead ‘working’ on convicting Jesus on those days, no mob would have formed.

LOL. horsefeathers and drivel. I’ve personally witnessed ( with others!) a mob of orthodox jews beat a man on the ground senseless on the Sabbath.

• TD
    TD

Fisherman,

I've heard similar explanations of Numbers 33:3 on other forums, but they do not (IMO) come to grips with the language of the verse.

Some translations, like YLT and KJV explicitly use the words "morning" or "morrow" and others, like the NWT emphasis the back-to-back linearity with phrases like, "Directly the day after the Passover" and "The very day after the Passover"

You've suggested that the word "day" should be understood as a reference to the calandar date, as opposed to the normal, unglossed meaning of the word, yôm, but your reason seems to be more of a desire to harmonize JW teaching when what is needed here is a valid textual basis.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    your reason seems to be more of a desire to harmonize JW teaching

How?

Jewish calendar I linked shows the last supper was celebrated on Thursday Nisan 13 evening( Nisan 14 morning) and not on Friday Nisan 14 evening ( Nisan 15 Morning). I’ve also cited Ibn Ezra.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@Fisherman: perhaps it is true that you could get Jews on Shabbat to kill someone, then again, Jesus as described never really existed. The allegory in scripture though would’ve mentioned such deviance, especially from the Jewish viewpoint, it would’ve been a deal of contention amongst the Pauline adherents at the very least that their deity died during a period where Jews or Jesus’ disciples weren’t allowed to do such things as get out of their houses and travel great distances? Or the Sanhedrin and Romans violating Passover rules on account of 3 low level criminals and a rabblerouser.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit