'church elders are told to report any allegations of child sexual abuse to the authorities immediately'

by was a new boy 35 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This is printed in the “Independent “ newspaper discussing the Vardy programme. ( as selected by Apple News app)

“ In a statement to the PA news agency, Jehovah’s Witnesses said: “Elders are directed to report an allegation of child sexual abuse to the police ‘even if there is only one complainant and no other corroborating evidence’.”

Well…. That is news to me. I thought here in UK they only did it if they believed a child was in further serious danger and only if directed by the Bethel …..

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

NOPE!! TOTALLY FAKE!!

I 'phoned Britain Branch today and the obfuscation started from the word 'go.'

The "brother" said (after seeking advice for nearly 10 minutes!!!) that he couldn't "verify" who had given the quote to the BBC. I didn't ask him who gave the quote, I asked him if it was true.

He told me to type in "child protection" on the Borg's web site, and said I would find all the information on what the org had to say about the subject.

When I read out this sentence to him, "When elders learn of an accusation of child abuse, they immediately consult with the branch office of Jehovah’s Witnesses to ensure compliance with child abuse reporting laws," and I said that there was no mention of elders reporting to the police, he just repeated that he couldn't "verify" the source of the quote. In other words he was saying, "I know the org is employing spiritual warfare lying to the BBC.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

They have not changed their position and I doubt that they will. They are indeed claiming that they are clergy so there's that too.

If they change, the floodgates will truly be wide open, and they are already settling more cases out of court than they can afford.

The 2-witness rule is indeed their red line. They will not be shifting to 1-witness in the foreseeable future.

They reluctantly admit that CSA is a crime, but their actions betray that they view it as sin, maybe just a short-coming. It depends on who you ask. Look at their actions and decide.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

So we have to conclude that either

1) There has been a dramatic shift in policy that has not been leaked.

2) The Watchtower speak with a forked tongue saying one thing in public and another to the elders.

3) The news media got it wrong and have reported what they did not say .

I would guess that the latter is most likely…..

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    ThomasMore - “…the floodgates will truly be wide open, and they are already settling more cases out of court than they can afford…”

This.

And good luck maintaining the pretence of “God’s Exclusive Earthly Organization” once that starts.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The 2-witness rule is what the Borg is hinging-on for its survival.

If that goes,,,everything comes crashing down it will give you whiplash.

They are relying on this "clergy penitent" privilege. As a crutch the protect their a$$es.

Because they probably are settling more cases than they can actually afford.

• mikronboy
    mikronboy

For an abused JW kid, the lass has certainly married rather well. Her and her hubby must be rolling in it! https://youtu.be/IEaGAWhwEwI

• dozy
    dozy

There were actually at least 3 untruths / misleading statements given to Ch4:

(1) Constant use of the term "so-called shunning" despite the fact that the Org has often used the work "shunning" in connection with how to treat DF/DA people eg Thus "disfellowshiping" is what Jehovah's Witnesses appropriately call the expelling and subsequent shunning of such an unrepentant wrongdoer." Watchtower 1981 Sep 15 p.22. This Watchtower is regularly cited as recently at 2021 / 2022.

(2) Reference that elders are instructed to call the authorities on any case of child abuse. This isn't true ( see phone call to branch above)

(3) Implication that shunning of DF/DA is an individual action. It isn't - it is insisted by the Org. The elders text book makes clear that anyone associating with DFd people / family members will be treated judicially.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

31:37 Jason Wynne, 'I'm loving the fact that it's all women doing this show, Yeah it's really kind of kick in the nuts' 😂🤣😅😇

https://youtu.be/e5sYrGM33Q0

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Guys can we get a letter to the independent or make some kind of statement (perhaps 20 or so ex elders will lend weight to it) and sign to the effect that as far as we know the two witness rule still applies?

We can also direct them to statements made by Gary Breaux and Toni Morris that the two witness rule will 'never change'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit