Ecstasy use makes people depressed for life?

by MegaDude 21 Replies latest jw friends

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Francois, have you thought of taking prozac or some other kind of antidepressants for you depression, due to the narcotics? I know in some cases taking narcotics is the only way for some to have a good quality of life, due to severe chronic pain. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with that if you are under a doctors care and use the meds for just that pain control and not use them as a mental escape from something eles....... and I know from you story Francois you used the meds for the chronic pain, and not for anything eles.

I have to take a medication daily to prevent extreame muscle pain, TMJ, it is Klonapin, just a low dose every nite, and it saves me a world of pain. I still get pain alot , but not nearly when I stay on my low dose. It helps me to not grind my teeth at night which leads to migraines, neck pain, jaw pain etc.

I told myself I didnt want to be on meds everyday of my life, and stopped taking my meds cold turkey. The withdrawals were terrible , the physical pain came back worse, I was sick, shakey, and miserable. Once i got used to not taking the meds, some of that passed, but the pain in my muscles came right back and my quality of life went to pot. I was in bed crying most of the time, with a heating pad .

All my life I have been afraid of drug addiciton because my mother was addicted to pain pills and it got really ugly for her.

I have learned that you can take medications responsibly and not abuse them. In my case not taking the meds was not being sound of mind, because I knew they helped and I would not comply with what the doctors told me to do, because I was afraid of becoming an addict.

Everyone's body chemistry is different, some can go their whole lives just taking an aspirin here and there, then there are others who need blood pressure meds, diabetics, people who must stay on antidepressants for the restof their lives,,,,,,,and I see know that is not addiciton. A doctor once told me about antidepressants, that ifyou are not getting the right amount of chemicals in your brain and the meds help,,,,,,itis just like a diabetic taking their meds to keep their sugar levels in check. Basically you have to decide that in order to have a good quality of life, sometimes complying with taking medicaitons is the wisest choice.

• hamptonite21
    hamptonite21

I would have to agree with this article. During my party days, I would often be depressed for days after taking pills all week end long. I often wonder if this has been the cause of sleepless nights and the anxiety that i have..

• Xena
    Xena

I have done ecstasy twice..the 2nd time the crash was so bad I decided never to do it again...wasn't worth it. As for long term effects..I really haven't noticed any significant difference...

Being a JW had the most long-term effects on my depression....

• Francois
    Francois

Thanks Lyin', I have been told that philosophy by my doctor and it has occurred to me. I am taking Effexor which works pretty good now that I'm taking a therapeutic dose. I had been on only 150 mg, now I'm at 225 on my way to 300.

But what worries me the most is who is going to pay for this drug after I'm 65 and it costs $1,200 a month just for the pain meds, not to mention the Effexor? It certainly isn't going to be the government.

francois

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Simon;

Maybe not so many direct deaths but perhaps it seriously affects quality of live (as most substance abuse / dependancy does, even if it doesn't kill you)

Eh? Substance abuse? Dependancy? Let us clarify terms, as to some people, smoking a joint is 'substance abuse'.

Substance abuse is when you are not in control of your use of a substance. Most smokers abuse a substance, as they are addicted to nicotine and can't fully control their usage. This does not apply to most E users, as it is not phsiologically addictive in the way that nicotine is. Dependancy is, obviously, closely linked to subtance abuse as the two are synomynous.

Substance use and substance ABuse are two different things.

If you drink, smoke, toke or shoot when you want, and have no 'jonesing' when you don't ingest them regulary, you are using substances.

If you need to drink or smoke to feel normal, or smoke pot or do heroin to function, you are abusing the substance.

As such, E IS less risky than horse riding, in terms of risks while under the influenece, just like I said. Actually, most risks related to E whilst under the influenece can be reduced quite dramatically with decent drug education. 'No' doesn't work. 'This is what it does, these are the risks, this is the safe way if you decide to having considered the risks' does work.

Most E users do not suffer significant withdrawl. The long term psychological effects are not clearly established, but seem to be negative. In general, it's not the wisest substance to have fun with; although it does give you an incomparable euphoric surge (I always though people hyped it), it's too sacarine-like and shallow, and long term effects are unknown, unlike the old-fashioned faves.

Francois;

Have you tried cannabis to treat the pain? I am not $hitting you or taking the 6iss in any way. It's a fantastic analgesic that has been in use for thousands of years. It specifically effects users perception of the pain; rather than reducing the pain as many analgesics do, it makes the pain less relevent, less close, more endurable. It doesn't have to be smoked, as you can ingest it, and although you'd be unwise to operate heavy machinary or drive, and there are some contraindications for people with a existing tendancy to depression, it's not addictive phsiologically and has little in the way of side-effects other than giggling if you dose to high, and maybe wanting to eat lots of snacky food.

I know it's illegal where you come from, but seriously, rather than resigning yourself to pumping your body full of expensive pharmaceuticals with lots of side effects, try cannabis. You can find a wealth of information on its medical use on the Internet. Unfortunately, the UK is the only country I know doing systematic drug trials, as the active constituents are well known and any medication based upon them is unlikely to be that profitable, as most of the medical research is to try and give the main medical effects (anti-tussitive (sp? suppresses nausea), appetite increaser and pain relief) without a high.

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

Before you all go full swing on Cannabis, I suggest you read this:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis.shtml

• Lost Diamond
  • ballistic
    ballistic

I was interested to see they had the annual conference on drugs in my home town!!!

• ballistic
    ballistic

Sorry - I didn't mean they had the annual conference ON drugs!!!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Lost DIamond. I know the resource you mention. But what do you mean? If you're saying, read up before you roll up, I agree. If you're saying 'Reefer Madness', well...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit