The Holidays Are No Big Deal Anymore

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

@Min

What's with this no abuse calling you names ? No respect for one of the sites longest serving members. What's his problem ?

• minimus
    minimus

Thanks for the support my friends. I don’t know what this poster’s problem is but if he insists on engaging with me so be it. Seems like he/she has a hair across its ass.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno
    You used to hear Christmas music blaring on every radio station. Not anymore.

My guess: This is because of the free market. Radio stations used to mix Christmas music in with their regular programming. At some point in the last 20 years, someone got the brilliant idea to have 100% Christmas music on their station and it got all the listeners that were in the holiday spirit. So other stations decided to cater to the other side of the market who were burned out on Christmas music.

People used to jam the roadways and malls to do their Christmas shopping and now it’s no big deal.

This one's easy: technology. Amazon and ecommerce with faster shipping times has fixed the Chrismas rush.

People used to have huge XMAS lists for gift giving. Not so much now.

I don't know about this one, man. Gonna need to see some evidence for that. If it is true, maybe it's because people are more wary of going deep into debt than we were in the past before the recession of 2008.

Saying Merry Christmas is politically incorrect. Christmas is no big deal anymore.

Saying Merry Christmas is only politically incorrect to a small number of people. Most people I know say Merry Christmas. And companies like mine that include about 20% of individuals with a Jewish tradition say Happy Holidays to include our Jewish friends in our festivities. It's not about being politically correct. It's about wanting everyone to have a part in the annual traditions our company has fun with.

• LV101
    LV101

It's a beautiful season but I'm counting the days to resume normal life -- it's time consuming but enjoyable. I've noticed some neighbors' homes aren't as glitzed up as in the past but they're probably cutting back due to busy-ness/age, travel to visit family, etc., and dealing with workmen/lighting cos, etc., decorating, time consuming - or did too much last year! It's a lot unless you're under 50!

• Giordano
    Giordano

Since we have young grand kids in our lives again we make an effort with gifts and a Xmas tree.

But what our friends look forward to is our annual New Year's Day party.

A lot of us have aged and going out New Years Eve is not an experience that older folks can enjoy. Nor even stay awake for.

But it turns out to fit the bill to welcome in a new year with an afternoon party. Folks bring a dish to share and their favorite beverage.

We've done nine or ten of these events and we get close to a hundred visits.

Helps us to keep up with friends and make new ones.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Thanks for the support my friends..... Seems like he/she has a hair across its ass.

Min ...

If I may further refine your statement, it would be "multiple hairs inside its ass."

Rub a Dub

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

I don't know where you live but in the USA most places I go its all over. Radio, TV, signs and in stores.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I don't know where you live but in the USA most places I go its all over. Radio, TV, signs and in stores.

Jimmy Young ...

I think, at least in this context, that it is nothing like it used to be. Christmas music was blasting everywhere, Christmas specials on TV all over the place (even as a JW, I can't tell you how many times I watched Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer specials).

Here in South Florida, other than malls wanting you to buy stuff, it seems nothing like it used to be.

Rub a Dub

• minimus
    minimus

Rub u are spot on!!!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I just walked into town to meet a couple of friends and there's xmas lights everywhere. I listen to classical music on the radio all day when I'm not at work and its full of Xmas carols.

Battery powered lights are filling the shops now in England and people are really going for it. Trees and windows decorated, wire reindeer with lights on. Some of it's a bit much but nice to see people having fun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit