My boyfriend is thinking of becoming reinstated

by gypsyvine 34 Replies latest social relationships

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Should I just get out now? He got DF'd about 2-4 months before we met I believe.
    This is really hard because I've never been so in love, but I am open to the harsh truth.

I would love to read an update. This is not a simple cut-and-run answer.
    Sure, that's about the best answer when the guy wants to become an active JW again. But in this case, it's highly possible that he won't become active. He seems straightforward that he wants the reinstatement just for family. He's brutally honest that he would "hide" gypsyvine until he is married to her, so he isn't saying something deceiving. And SHE LOVES HIM.

It sounds like he will do what he will do. It's been 2 months, so I am sure he's not reinstated yet, but is he still trying? If it were me, I would remind him of his promises and only be prepared to bail out if he becomes a regular JW after the reinstatement.

• steve2
    steve2

An update would be nice.

Contrary to what flamegrilled stated about others throwing around advice then moving on to other threads, many of us remain concerned about your ongoing wellbring.

BTW, short of risking "pestering" you, it's hard to know how to appropriately show concern in an ongoing way on a forum if the original poster chooses not to remain in communication.

So, unlike flamegrilled, I do not use this as an opportunity to elevate my own calibre of posting by making off-handed comments about other posters.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I am glad that this post was resurrected. Too often we lose sight of some posters as things move pretty fast especially if replies are not forthcoming.

I can not tell you to run as there are any number of happy marriages on this site where one partner is a believer and one is not. Of cause the opposite is true as well.

The Poster who wrote the following: As women, we're often led by our hearts so I'd say, get informed and slow down/stop the physicality. Not to be a prude but that really keeps emotions high. Ending that will help you to make a clearer headed decision.

I consider this advice to be outdated and not practical. The chemistry between two people should be embraced. It's one of the reasons so many JW marriages fail or are so unhappy within their belief structure. Not finding out if you will be physically compatible with a serious potential marriage partner has slammed the door on any number of JW marriages as their divorce rate is 11% which is on average with any other Christian Church's. What is worse is that many stay married years after they should have separated.

That said you would both have to be discreet to the extreme while he is trying to be reinstated. This is an example of how the JW religion punishes not only the person who has been DF through shunning but also his parents and brothers and now possibly yourself if you have to tolerate a secret relationship.....of course being in love will help.

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

Giordano, it was my advice--my advice having never been a JW. I'm not that old (early 30s) and a single woman so I know the game. The situation being what it is, it was very sound advice: she met him when he was temporarily DF'd (only several months); they date for four months and he's trying to get reinstated. Not to mention, he says he wants to marry her but would only do so in secret. All of this says to me it's very likely he's still indoctrinated.

So they know they're sexually compatible; that's great. But sex can also make you think it's love when it's really just hormones. Been there, done that, have the T-shirt. Because none of us knows the future and because as a non-JW, she is very unfamiliar with the wacky world of JWs, it's best to exercise some caution until she has more information that isn't emotionally charged. If he really cares for her, waiting on the sex while she figures things out won't be a deal breaker. But he may just want to have his cake and eat it too (sex/relationship with a "worldly" girl while getting reinstated into a belief system he believes in). And if he still believes it's the "truth", he might be expecting her to convert or at a minimum live in accordance with it--no holidays or birthday celebrations. No, he may never verbalize it, but it's probably a "given" in his mind. Of course, he'll want his children to live the best way of life.

I obviously don't know the details of every case and I'm glad for every relationship that survives the WT curtain. But I have read some stories here about UBMs who didn't really know what JWs were all about or didn't intervene in a baptism because they thought it was harmless. My first suggestion was to get informed. It wasn't judgment or ill will. If they can live happily ever after with him reinstated and thumbing his nose at WT rules, then that's fantastic. But with the situation as it was presented, that was my advice and I stand by it.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Hi OutsidelookingIn I just found your return post and wanted to thank you for taking the time to discuss our different viewpoint. I also would be remiss in not telling you that I agree with any number of points you made.

Gio

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit