So...what do you think about The United States of America?

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I consider myself fortunate to have been born in the USA and I am proud of my European heritage.

• LV101
    LV101

silentbudda - ahhh, James Brown/the King or one of 'em! Would you believe I saw his show live in bay area many moons ago - what an entertainer. Throwing diamond cuff links into the crowd - can't remember which Fillmore/ Calif - long time ago. Joplin, Airplane, Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship - gads couldn't keep up - the faves.

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

LVL100 - must have been a great time to be alive. Janis Joplin... the ugliest semester woman ever lol.

I love/loved James Brown. Too bad I missed that era lol

• minimus
    minimus

Now James Brown was quite the entertainer! I saw him in person years ago and he was phenomenal!

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I was born and raised in Europe, moved to the US and stayed. In general the world still thinks highly of the US, regardless of the media, very few people that live in lesser countries don't want to move here, they don't want to move to Germany or the UK, they want to move to the US.

It's fairly simple, freedom is guaranteed. Even if you have a poor president (eg. Obama-Biden) that is hell bent on taking as much as they can, individual states and your first and second amendments guarantee that those things don't last very long.

I've now lived halfway through Bush, Obama and halfway through Trump in the US, I still don't want to move back, I've made more money than my parents can even dream of (they still translate their money to pre-Euro currency), I'm a millionaire to them, they've worked their butts off till 65 and still work to date to keep up with their tax and medical bills (there is no Medicare or Medicaid or Social Security for poor people in Europe, free healthcare does not exist in Europe). They make what the US would qualify as barely above minimum wage after taxes and a mortgage, their blue collar counterparts here drive F150's and have large houses which they paid off.

Only in the US can you be your own person and make money, even if some of those decisions lead to bad outcomes, at least you know you have yourself to blame. But speaking from personal experience, you can always get back on top. Try that in the EU.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

USA, you ignored Puerto Rico when it was devastated. Your leader downplayed a pandemic and magnified the consequences. Your Congress spent trillions on making rich people feel a sense of hope for themselves and threw some crumbs to the people.

USA, you have homeless people and vacant buildings sharing the same areas. You have humongous healthcare costs and kept healthcare linked to employment, then destroyed your economy and the employment.

USA, you have no national standards for caring for the health or the education of the people.

^^^ See - they never compare America to another country.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit