Elders' kids - special treatment?

by starfish422 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Azalo
    Azalo

My father was/is from the no special treatment school of thought. I was always under close scrutiny, it sucked. I never really did anything "bad" until I just up and told my dad it wasnt for me. He had the elders come talk to me, they read me some scriptures blah blah blah. I was never df'd or da'd though i just faded away.

• the insider
    the insider

I think everyone on the board should be open to ALL viewpoints and stories. I WAS and then was not an elders kid and Yes at times you did get special treatment when everyone LIKES your elder father. Then WHOA NELLY if someone "has it in for" your dad. Then you still got special treatment but it was very harsh and fast to remove or discredit your parent.
    Also as a side point, once you dad is no longer an elder, your "jw" social life drops like a rock. All of a sudden your "longtime family friends" barely notice you. Mabey thats a topic for other forums but hey it happens.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I've seen it swing both ways. Many times it was not just the elders kids, but those who were popular or weathy that got special attention. I remember my teenagers getting into problems-it was generally from associating with elders kids. My kids told me that they were as RT said 'skilled at leading a double life". So many were engaging in things that would have been reproving matters for others, but b/c these kids were smart enough to know how to play the game-they got away with it.

Elders familes are held to a higher standard, that is why so many will go to any length to hide offenses. However, i have know really sincere elders, who walked the talk , as they say. i have also known some , ( can't think of a word bad enough for them), that ratted out their own kids so they could retain the title of elder.

It may also depend if u live in a small town or city.The city group tended to party more.

• the insider
    the insider

As elders kids we had to master the double life skill just like our elders parents mastered it. Most if not all elders and children have "something" in the closet that could have the elder removed if someone so desires. It is a system of forced compliance and jw's try desperatly to back it up with scripture quotes. One of the BIGGEST bullshit theories is that "elders are appointed by holy spirit". This keeps the dumb jw's in line and the intelligent jw's keep from asking questions or questioning god by going against the elders. NICE TWISTING OF HOLY SCRIPTURE!!!!!!!!!! As a side point, I have met a FEW elders who were honest and sincere but most were HYPOCRITS to the extreme, anything they did or said stupid was due to imperfection but anyone else was weak spiritually or apostate. Morons!!!

• gard731
    gard731

i remember one individual specifically within our congregation getting special treatment,his father was an elder.not a very reputable one at that.in any case,there were several times he was called into the "backroom"but was never reproofed or disasosiated or disfellowshipped...... up until the time where he was at the age where he could no longer be protected by "dad" and held accountable for his actions.then there were the ones who made the money,it always seemed to me even at a young age that these people or group of people would "hang together".

i was always left and made fun of,particularly about my attire, my parents werent able to afford the expensive suits and "material things others could. the elders would smile in my fathers face and scoff behind his back. i dont know if he knew it or not.it was discomforting and quite honestly at my ageback then really hurt my feelings.the things i would like to say to those people now..... alot of them have fallen away from "truth", including myself.my reason for leaving was a lack of understanding and a whole lot of discouragement.im now struggling along in this screwed up world..............and i think that the reason someone has such a hard time when they fall away is because they have been brought up there whole life in an organization that teaches you that you should be going to bethel or become a pioneer or to get out of the house ( my case) and not taught to ready yourself for the world and start thinking about your financial future and a career or college you end up SOL and struggling to make things work. i am not saying what the witnesses teach is wrong or not true and have actually started talking to a couple, but im not sure anymore, i had some vey legitamate questions for these guys.like before the witnesses became an organization where and how biblicaly can they justify that what they preach is true?who said to them "hey this is the true religion.or did they just research information,biblical info etc. and come to there own conclusion.

anyways..........as Forrest Gump said "thats all i got to say about that" even better "Momma always said life is like a box of chocolates ,you never know what kind your gonna get.

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

As the son of a P.O. that got into trouble a umber of times, I never, ever recieved special treatment. Maybe my dad was unique?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit