How much in total do you think the W.T.S has payed out in child abuse cases??

by karter 20 Replies latest jw friends

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

Sorry its Trey Goudy

• John Davis
    John Davis

Candace Conti was cut to a little over 2 million not the 21. The Lopez 13 million was reversed by the appeals court.

Also, the large case in Texas was actually dismissed due to the statute of limitations. The cases in Louisana and Vermont were dismissed due to failure to state a claim.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I wondered several months ago when Steve Lett , governing body, said on their jwbroadcasting, that more money is going out than coming in. On what? Settlements? All their properties selling in Brooklyn, should have given them cushion for all their building Upstate?

• JeffT
    JeffT
    I wondered several months ago when Steve Lett , governing body, said on their jwbroadcasting, that more money is going out than coming in.

I don't believe that any more than I believe anything else they say. Why should I?

Along with reducing the total amount to be paid, the settlements almost certainly include structured payouts, which means they don't have as much to payout up front. All told, I imagine its not as much as you would think.

• John Davis
    John Davis

Also some of these cases occurred while the US Branch had insurance so insurance is also going to pay out some of it.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

And how much money does the victim get to keep from the settlement amount after subtracting lawyers, doctors and all of the other expensive bills? Maybe Conti took home 400k - 600k after paying all the bills to try the case and that is not a lot of money considering that she is the victim and most of the money should go to the victim.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Probably into the millions now and yes they do pay their designated chosen lawyers for their time and effort.

There was information going back ten years or more of cases in California where the WTS settled out of court with a gag order included in the settlement.

In any case its a good thing that these law suits are coming forward because it shows and makes people aware of the behavior and activity that does happen within large highly controlled religious institutions.

The Catholic religion has recently been exposed now its the JWS and maybe more to follow.

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

At least Candace Conti got something- she originally only sued for $1,440.00 She wanted these terrible situations brought to the courts as the WTBTS looks on media as fake news written by apostates.

I was astonished with the recent book/bible study rehashing how the society won all these cases in all different lands by finding mistakes in the countries charters and amendments, etc. and giving praise to Jehovah for doing it... Will Jehovah be happy when they win these cases?? I don't think so

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice
    How much in total do you think the W.T.S has payed out in child abuse cases??

So far, we can only look at three cases that already have been confirmed via internet and newspapers.

Candace Conti $ 2.8m

http://www.mercurynews.com/2015/04/16/court-upholds-2-8-million-award-for-woman-molested-by-fremont-jehovahs-witnesses-member/

Jose Lopez $ 13.5m

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-jehovahs-witness-lopez-sex-abuse-appeal-2016apr14-htmlstory.html

Amelia (not her real name according to the link) £ 275.000

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33201010

If we assume WT will have to pay the recently discussed + $ 2m fine that directly relates to WT's refusal to comply with court that asked for documents, we can add those few million as well.

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2017/nov/10/ticker-jehovahs-witnesses-withheld-info-4000-day/?amp&page=all

A total sum including a hypothetical + 2m fine will show it would be very close to $ 18.6 million dollar at this very moment. Nobody will expect this to bring the WT to its knees (yet!), but keep in mind that the MORAL damage is already done and with future ARC related compensation/ punitive damages to be expected, the snowball effect will probably accumulate!

Awaiting future developments, it will be my pleasure to inform individual jw's about what actually happens with some of their donations.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

18.6 million is peanuts for watchtower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit