Jehovah Witnesses View on medical marijuana?

by Slade1224 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Slade1224
    Slade1224

I was wondering what the view Jehovah Witnesses and the Bible and tract society had on medical cannabis? I remember as a kid reading in the reasoning book that marijuana was bad and smoking it caused cancer and was worse then cigarettes. As more reach comes out we are leaning marijuana can cure certain forms of cancer! There is also certain form of marijuana that have no active (THC) and will not get you high. Also there are ways to not even smoke it? It is also safer for you then taken certain pharmaceutical drugs as cannabis has never killed anyone from overdosing in the history of mankind. What is the stance of the watchtower bible and tract society on medical cannabis? I tried to email this to the society.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its still perceived as a hallucinating drug like Huffing glue and using other drugs to induced hallucinations.

Now that marijuana is starting to go legal for consumption, Canada for one, they may change their stance on pot use but certainly dont expect it right away.

I would even go as far to say they will never allow it.

They always got the booze and booze is approved by Jesus Christ,.... good old Jesus.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Off of Jworg .....

Why Human Efforts Fail

Illicit drug abuse is just one facet of a larger global problem. An overwhelming influence for evil, violence, and cruelty grips the whole world. The Bible says: “The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.” (1 John 5:19) That “wicked one” is identified by the apostle John at Revelation 12:9: “So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him.”

In addition to his own weaknesses, man has had to contend with this powerful enemy. Satan is the one who caused man’s downfall at the start. He is determined to bring further degradation on mankind and to turn them away from God. Mankind’s abuse of drugs appears to be a part of his strategy. He is acting with great anger because he knows that “he has a short period of time.”—Revelation 12:12.

What Is God’s Solution?

The Bible reveals the Creator’s loving provision to redeem mankind from their sinful condition. At 1 Corinthians 15:22, we are told: “Just as in Adam all are dying, so also in the Christ all will be made alive.” Jesus willingly came to earth as a perfect human and sacrificed his earthly life to redeem mankind from the effects of sin and death.

Knowing the reason for death as well as the solution to man’s problems has given many the motivation and courage to break free from drug addiction. But the Bible does more than help us deal individually with the drug problem now. It tells of the time, after the termination of Satan’s influence, when all the world’s ills, including drug abuse, will end permanently.

The book of Revelation describes “a river of water of life, clear as crystal, flowing out from the throne of God and of the Lamb.” (Revelation 22:1) This symbolic river pictures God’s provision through Jesus Christ to restore man to perfect life on a paradise earth. Revelation describes trees of life flourishing along the river and states: “The leaves of the trees were for the curing of the nations.” (Revelation 22:2) Those symbolic leaves picture Jehovah’s curative provisions to restore mankind to spiritual and physical perfection.

At last, man will be free, not only from drug abuse but also from all the other ills and problems that plague him in this degraded system!

[Box/Picture on page 9]

How Safe Is Marijuana?

A number of countries are considering legalizing marijuana, mainly for medicinal use. The drug has been found to alleviate the nausea caused by chemotherapy, and it evidently helps AIDS sufferers to overcome loss of appetite. It has also been used as a pain reliever.

While there is disagreement about the results of research findings, tests that were reported on in New Scientist magazine have established some of the harmful effects of marijuana.

A Harvard University test compared a group who smoked marijuana daily with a group who used it less often. They found little difference on standard mental tests. However, on one test dealing with adaptability, the heavy marijuana users scored much lower.

Another university tested a group of regular marijuana smokers and a group of cigarette smokers, over a period of 15 years. The marijuana smokers usually had three or four joints a day, while the cigarette smokers had 20 or more cigarettes a day. Equal numbers from both groups suffered from coughing and bronchitis. Examination of the lungs revealed similar cell damage in both groups.

Although the marijuana smokers indulged much less often, it was found that a single joint releases three times as much tar as a cigarette. Furthermore, New Scientist reported: “Marijuana smokers inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer.”

In addition, immune cells from the lungs of the marijuana smokers were found to be 35 percent less capable of fighting bacteria than were cells from the cigarette smokers.

• Slade1224
    Slade1224

My thought was if you where using a CBD strain with no THC in a tincture form. That would have no psychoactive compounds in it also would not have to be smoked... hundred times better then most pharmaceutical drugs! As a witness how do they justify alcohol over cannabis? I don't get it. Do they not see the research? How are they the true religion and not see the healing powers of cannabis?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

How are they the true religion ?

The JWs aren't "the" true religion as no religion is, its just another religion made up by men to empower themselves who are known to be poorly educated on many matters.

I get your point though Slade, there are health benefits as you pointed out

• hoser
    hoser

When they legalize it here in Canada I'm going to try some cannibas. I can do whatever I want in the privacy of my home.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

How much BLOOD does your weed have in it? Was it fertilized with BLOOD?

If the answers to these questions are "NONE" and "NO" _AND_ it is a prescribed "medication," _AND_ it is not being smoked, then I *think* the WTB&TS would have nothing to say.

The Watchtower is anti-smoking and anti-recreational substances that are not prescribed, regardless of the "naturalness" of the substance.

The WTB&TS has no problem with homeopathy, by the way, because it is based on a dilute extract of baloney and bullshit.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Slade1224,

Also there are ways to not even smoke it?

There are definitely many ways of not smoking it. Vaporizers, edibles, and tinctures. You might want to google and find a whole range of options. This is a good source of information for starters.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

I think that as time goes by and marijuana use becomes a part of mainstream culture, the stigma will fade and the younger witnesses will consider it no worse than alcohol.

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey

I called bethel on this. The guy at the service desk could have been a recording "Ask your local elders".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit