Disaster preparedness

by ElderBerry 75 Replies latest jw experiences

• LV101
    LV101

The whole gobag thing originated with Hurricane Katrina, when the WTS lost all track of some members who used it to fade away. Congregation elders did not have or had out of date lists of phone numbers and addresses of the rank file....the go bag thing started shortly after that.

AWESOME! ^^^^ the great escape!

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

If there is something like a nuclear, biological or chemical attack in one area then survivors are to head to nearest safe area. Or any other situation where you have to leave your area. The congregations in surrounding areas will be asked to house displaced JWs.

It will be a voluntary thing but those who say no I can’t have anyone in my home will stand out compared to those who volunteer to have people sleeping on the floor.

The point is everyone should help each other related in the faith. And when there is a disaster that displaces lots of people there needs to be good organisation.

GB update number 3 showed some areas affected by draught and other area’s flooding. Humans are ruining the earth and there will be more of this going forward. Disaster relief committees need to be well organised to help in the best ways.

Also the way the West is pushing Russia and China and the banking system near to collapse, there is more of a need to have go bags and a bug out plan than ever before.

Brics currency could replace the dollar and when currencies collapse there could be chaos. I think you are much better off being part of a well organised community than being a lone wolf.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

So Mikejw, if housing Witness refugees become the new measure of spirituality, how long will yours last when you have to house, cloth and feed an extra 20 people at your home? 1 month, 2 months, 3 month, 6 months, 12 months? Because you know that its going to take more than 12 months for people to return home after a nuclear, biological or wide scale chemical attack.

I just wish people would use their brain, and stop thinking that there is always going to be someone to bail them out of trouble.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NO ZOMBIE:

Sounds like a nightmare.

Probably the measure of ‘spirituality’ now means giving money/handouts to people there who never worked or planned!

But you’re right that this could possibly be a new measure of ‘spirituality’: the religion cannot deliver the ‘new system’ so if there’s a disaster they imagine the poor JWs in congregations are going to deal with everybody!! ..So many with no life skills expecting somebody else to bail them out.. I would never want to be near them!

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

Longhairgal:

Let's run a scenario for fun (and for Mikejw).

It's now 2027 and Russia is very slowly being pushed out of Ukraine. The Kerch Bridge is now gone and Russia has lost nearly a million soldiers. Putin has become so pissed with Britain over its Storm Shadow missiles and its continuations military aid to Zelensky, that he decides to teach England a lesson, they'll never forget.

So from a Soviet submarine in the southern edge of the North Sea, a single cruise missile is launched at lunch time. Because it is sub-sonic, low and doesn't have a heat plume, it doesn't alert the United Kingdom's nuclear defense shield. But half an hour later a 20kt nuclear detonation vaporizes the city of Chelmsford. And while most of the fall-out ends up in the Channel, everyone in London sees and feels the explosion.

So tell me Mikejw, what's going to happen. I'll tell you. Even if that attack does not escalate, the whole English economy is totally fucked for 5 years. Mass unemployment, mass internal migration and at least 5 million direct refugees. And we are not even counting the hundred thousand sick and injured from the initial blast, who have crashed the English medical system.

And you are trying to tell me that the Brotherhood is going to magically pick up the slack, when most will not even have jobs themselves, that somehow a JW disaster relief committee is going to start setting up MASH camps for irradiated Witnesses. Or that donations from the world wide work, is going to flow in. Do you really understand how many billions of dollars it would take to permanently rehouse even 5,000 witness families? Do you actually know what the main therapy for acute radiation exposure is? Look it up.

I don't think that many witnesses have a clue.

• Mikejw
    Mikejw
    So tell me Mikejw, what's going to happen. I'll tell you. Even if that attack does not escalate, the whole English economy is totally fucked for 5 years. Mass unemployment, mass internal migration and at least 5 million direct refugees. And we are not even counting the hundred thousand sick and injured from the initial blast, who have crashed the English medical system

In that situation it would be far more beneficial to be part of a community than not be. JWs would rally together and do their best to help those who need it.

All you have to do is be willing to have JWs sleep on your floor. There will no doubt be food shortages and chaos so whatever food is available will be shared out with those who need it most.

other JWs from far afield will send aid to wherever needs it. You will always be well looked after being a JW.

I feel it’s extremely unlikely your scenario but if things like this do happen then it’s going to be very hard on everyone involved. It’s better to be part of a well organised community than not be, but either way it’s going to be extremely difficult

So Mikejw, if housing Witness refugees become the new measure of spirituality, how long will yours last when you have to house, cloth and feed an extra 20 people at your home? 1 month, 2 months, 3 month, 6 months, 12 months? Because you know that its going to take more than 12 months for people to return home after a nuclear, biological or wide scale chemical attack

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit