John Lee Hooker - Jehovahs Witness

by apostrate 19 Replies latest social entertainment

• apostrate
    apostrate

A couple of excerpts from an interview with John Lee Hooker, American Blues legend, a few years before he died in 2001. I found this to be somewhat humorous.

Have you been married more than once?

Four times. I ain’t never gonna get married again. I mess around some now, you know, but not like I used to. I may shack. When you’re shackin’, you do wrong and you can get the hell out! No, I ain’t gettin’ married no more. That’s a big responsibility, and you might get a woman you don’t know. You think you do, but she starts running around, cheating and going on – I don’t want that. Just come in, stay awhile and get out. Sometimes a woman thinks she wants to marry you, and after she gets married to you, she gonna find different and want to start trouble. And if God call you today, you want someone that’s gonna take care of your kids.

Did you raise your kids to believe in God and Jesus?

Oh, yeah, because I do. I’m a Jehovah’s Witness.

Were you that most of your life?

No. I was a Baptist. My family was too.

What led you to become a Jehovah’s Witness?

God is Jehovah. I come to believe in that. You don’t have to be sanctified, but you do the right thing in life and love people and believe in him. I always do.

Do you think there’s a heaven?

I believe in paradise. It’s here on earth. “He will clean the wicked and save the righteous.” God will never destroy this earth. He’ll destroy the evil on this earth, but he invented this earth. When, we don’t know. It’s been here forever. He’s not gonna destroy this earth. He’ll destroy the people that are on it and do evil. He will clean this up, and the righteous will survive. That’s what I believe in. I could be wrong.

The entire interview can be found here for those who are interested:

http://jasobrecht.com/john-lee-hooker-living-blues-interviews/

• flipper
    flipper

John Freaking Lee Hooker was a JW ? What's this world coming to ? Weird. He must have not been a practicing JW or perhaps a closet JW , or an ex-JW who still believed in the illusions. Who knows ? Still- I loved the man's music. I'll try to forget he had a JW connection. Thanks for this bit of " lemon juice " in my wound information. LOL. Now when I think of John Lee this thought of him being a JW will creep into my head. Thanks loads. It's cool. I'll get over it. LOL

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Huh. Screwing around with my head now, too...I didn't know that Johnny was a JW.

Sometimes, some things are just too much information, right, Flipper?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ZVrR6lD4s

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Wowee ! That is amazing.... Truthfully, I cannot believe that he was a real J W, in the sense of living the life that we all know and recognize. I suspect he may have studied.. adopted some of the beliefs , but that would be it.... Although I would love to be proved wrong..

Hee Hee ,, I wonder how some of his songs would go down at the K .Hall?

"One Bourbon One Scotch One Beer"

"Big Legs, Tight Skirt"......

I could go on. BTW This is another thing I have in common with Flipper .

Here is John Lee Hooker

• steve2
    steve2

Well, his gift was music not eschatology. What else can you expect. Yikes. The "Godfather " of the Blues is a mere deluded human after all.

Sometimes when our heros stray from their gifts, and spout high and might about other things, they explode any notion that they are heroes because, hell, they don't know nuthin' of what they speak and they shouda just kept their stupid mouth shut.

I remember some years ago listening to my hero Bob Dylan talking about religion and politics. I should have blocked my ears. He became a born-again Christian and spouted the most god-awful rubbish. Stick to your trade Bob. Save the preaching for other nutters.

• flipper
    flipper

ORPHAN CREW- Yeah, you got it. Too much information. LOL. Here's another song I loved by John Lee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdeEezR_9Do&list=RDhdeEezR_9Do&index=1

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

I wonder if John Lee got too close to Larry Graham's circle of friend's in the music industry?

Larry Graham converted to the JWs in 1975 (Larry must have been trying to get in under the wire) and he brought others besides Prince into the Paradise Choir.

• disillusioned 2
    disillusioned 2

"I ain’t never gonna get married again. I mess around some now, you know, but not like I used to. I may shack. When you’re shackin’, you do wrong and you can get the hell out!"

Does this sound like a witness?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

WTF?!?

Bizarre. . . .

Lucky enough to see him in the early '90s though.

• flipper
    flipper

Oh, no, say it ain't so!

Well, maybe you could make lemonade from lemons here and embarrass the hell out of the Watchtower with this. A lot of John Lee's songs were pretty darn salty...

Mrs. F

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit