Liberal vs. Conservative mental health study - what do you make of it?

by Brock Talon 40 Replies latest social current

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

There is not a clear line berween lib and conservative. It can be drawn as a square, or better as a cube. Depending on the survey bias I am a moderate, slightly right. If feelings are given weight I end up slightly left. Reality included pushes me a bit more right.

As I have said, voting is figuring who to vote against, not for.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@PistolPete - yes, I saw this video earlier on today.

AOC earns a good wage and didn't even think to help her abuela out.

Along come some conservative pundits and raise $100K for AOC's grandmama - hilarious!

• Etude
    Etude
    Brock Talon: I didn't say conservatives are assholes. I said some conservatives are assholes. There are many good conservatives. I don't understand why so many people insist on making opinions an all or nothing issue. And, your polls regarding what they contribute and how much is very much subject to what they contribute to. I didn't see any indication that they contribute more to causes supporting the poor or disenfranchised. I do have some indication that they would be more religiously conservative and would contribute to anti-abortion causes than most liberals, even though the god of the OT Bible doesn't shit about children, let alone fetuses.
  • truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

https://labsites.rochester.edu/lelab/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Schlenker-Chambers-Le-2012-Conservatives-are-happier-than-liberals-but-why-Political-ideology-personality-and-life-satisfaction.pdf

Page 2 of the above paper gets to the core of the issue - happiness.

Conservative ideology - Preserve tradition. Hard work = Success. An individual is responsible for his own outcome.

Liberal ideology - Progress must always happen. One's outcome is influenced by external factors controlled by society as a whole. Inequality is society's failing.

What is true is that happiness is found internally. No person, place, experience, or thing can make you happy.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@PistolPete

Update:

AOC has rejected the $100,000 raised by the Go Fund Me account.

Well done AOC, I guess all those conservative dollars are bigoted and racist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNMFvEtWhDQ

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    LoveUniHateExams

Update:

AOC has rejected the $100,000 raised by the Go Fund Me account.

I heard that. Some are saying the Grandma Never had a problem to begin with. She is fine and living in a nice house, better than the average citizen.

AOC just wanted to blame Trump for something.

• Jazzbo
    Jazzbo

Being a Liberal requires cognitive disability of some kind, usually several kinds.

• Terry
    Terry

This dovetails perfectly into Brock's opening paragraph.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs41JrnGaxc

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I'm just now starting to read this topic thread, thus I haven't yet read the Pew report, but what I notice thus far is that the articles that are discussing it are only comparing conservatives and liberals who are WHITE. For example in the articles there appears to be no mention about black liberals versus whites (liberal or conservative). Maybe the black liberals have less mental problems than white conservatives. ;)

Studies that I have seen say that atheists in the USA know more facts about the Bible (such as the names of the biblical books and the commandments of the 10 commandments) than do Christians in the USA; that a higher percentage of atheists in the USA have higher formal education and higher pay than do Christians in the USA (with Christians of very conservative denominations/churches [such as baptists, Mormons and JWs] having less education and pay than those of liberal denominations/churches [such as Unitarian/Universalists and Episcopalians]); that the percentage of atheists in the USA who are political liberal and aligned with the Democratic party is higher than people in the USA who are not atheists.

• Terry
    Terry

There appears to be a cross-over point on motivating push-back in political discourse when the issue is less important than the "idiots you hate".
    Who can doubt the Trump vote was a vote AGAINST Hillary rather than a delectable
    affirmation of the man himself?

For each party, it is the OTHER side to be vilified, despised and demonized AD HOC.
    Whatever the other side is FOR motivates an automatic AGAINST.

The election of Biden conversely was a cry of "anything and anybody (even Biden) rather than four more years of 24/7 negative Trump coverage".

The election of Trump was kryptonite for the Left, a classic bĂȘte noire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit