“Do You Know the Time?” From WT Sept 2018

by skin 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• skin
    skin

There is a one page article in the current WT study mag, Sept 2018 pg 22 with the title “Do You Know the Time?”

In that article it describes a number of different ways you can say the time is 1:30. It goes on to say “There are even places where that same time could be expressed as “half two,” meaning 30 minutes before two”

What I would like to know is this, where in the world does “half 2” mean 1:30? Here in New Zealand, when we say “half 2”, we are saying that the time is 2:30. A shortened way of saying “half past 2”.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

At least the question wasn't followed up by "Is it later than you think?"

Now that would really be a pointless question. :p

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

It is 2:36 am....no it's 2:37 am... no it 2:38 ah forget about it.

• Listener
    Listener

A quick google suggests that this might be the case in the German language.

• LOLS
    LOLS

In Afrikaans here in South Africa "Half Twee(2)": is actually 1:30

• skin
    skin

Thanks Listener & LOLS.

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

@LOLS Yeah, same in German. We say "halb zwei' (literally translates into "half two"). It's like a condensed way of saying half an hour 'til two.

Works even when expressing the 15 minute intervals (quarter past/quarter to). So, one forty-five would become "viertel vor zwei".

Edit: Ah, @Listener beat me to it.

• George One Time
    George One Time

And the dutch language too

• menrov
    menrov

It is done in some English speaking countries too. I got confused when they did that. So, it is not a lie in this case

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Yh this was confusing for me when I was learning German. To be safe I stick to saying the time like a 24hr clock, like "one thirty" (ein dreißig) or "two thirty" (zwei dreißig) instead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit