Canada may get a new government today

by Simon 64 Replies latest social current

• prologos
    prologos
    Lol GT.

Unfortunately here in Australia a change of government doesn't result in much of a change overall these days. so,

You must be doing something right. The real power is wielded by the government apparatus anyway. " Civil" or not servants.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    GreatTeacher: ...Do they all just throw up their hands and call for an election? What would a triggering event be?

It is called a "no-confidence" vote in parliament. The opposition calls for it and it forces a re-election. The triggering event could be a number of things.

• Simon
    Simon
    I wonder if the reason politics is so volatile in the states is because it's basically a two party system, so if you're in a small party like the green party you never get representation

I think the UK / Canadian system is more healthy democracy wise. There will always be party-supporters but lots of people seem to vote on the issues and what the parties plans are. The US system just seems to be a partisan club that swaps power back and forth and is far less accessible.

It's not proportional though so even if the Green party get's 5% of the vote they could get no seats if those votes are spread out. In one way it means people don't get a voice but also prevents small minorities getting too much power when they become the swing vote on issues.

I miss the UK election night because it's really town-hall stuff and the colorful characters that often run getting a few hundred votes with a funny name. You have your candidate right there in front of you, Politicians just seem to be far more accessible than they appear to be in the US.

• Listener
    Listener

GT that is an amazing ad, even down to the point that his hand actions look aggressive or annoyed when he is throwing away the boards but have a different affect in the second half of the video. (don't want to give the plot away).

That ad would have cost next to nothing to make but a lot of thought and creativity.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    What percentage of the votes does the Canadian Green Party usually get?
  • Simon
    Simon
    Do they all just throw up their hands and call for an election? What would a triggering event be

Sometimes the government will call the election in order to get more of a "mandate" from the electorate if there are major decisions to be made or they have a minority government and are struggling to get consensus to pass legislation.

There's a limit to the length of a term that will force an election but it's unusual for the in-power party not to chose the date that they think will be most beneficial to themselves.

A vote of no-confidence to force an election is rare but can happen.

Generally there is less of the obstructive politics than there is in the current US system - that really needs to be fixed and the sad thing is it appears the electorate has no power to make it happen.

• Simon
    Simon
    What percentage of the votes does the Canadian Green Party usually get?

I don't know about historically but they are on 3.4% right now in the results.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Just curious to know what the two major parties' stand is on global warming?
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

Vilage Idiot:Just curious to know what the two major parties' stand is on global warming?

Village I think both parties adopt a wait and see attitude. No matter what they say publicly.

You have to remember Canada is a largely untapped reserve of global commodities that neither party wants to lay waste to.

• talesin
    talesin

For the Provincial and Federal elections, I work the polls. The early polls were flooded. They weren't prepared, and I got called in to work 4 extra days, on the first afternoon. It was crazy busy.

I just got home from counting the votes at the polling station I worked here in Eastern Canada, and our polling station was a very close race between the NDP incumbent and the Liberal challenger. PC only got about 5% of the vote. The Greens and Marxist-Leninist parties got 1-2%. Factor in that there are a lot of seniors and students at this station, and the Trudeau factor is HUGE.

I don't have TV, but am thinking that CBC probably has a live stream online, so I'm gonna go check now.

I haven't read the whole thread, and will do so now,,,,,, is Newfoundland Blue or Red? haha, our returns are probably on TV! must ... check it out!

tal

*this has been a non-partisan report from the front lines* haha, I love Election Day! can ya tell, I get so wound.. drinking a hot cocoa to relax.

Still voting out west, and our polls have been closed for almost 3 hours --- what a country. : ))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit