Honestly, Do You Still Act or Think Like a JW?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus
    Or do traces or attitudes still rear its ugly head of your past involvement with the Witnesses?
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

No motherf*^*g way to think I act like a JW now. I hate them for who they are and what they stand and how they totally destroyed many, many lives. Be it just having a normal childhood or those that gave their lives because of the blood issue, but now, "Jehovah" (as in seven old guys in Brooklyn) says you can have blood fractions. . . give me a break.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    no--i dont wish anyone dead
  • eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Gotta admit, I felt a twinge of guilt when I stood, removed my hat, and listened respectfully to the USA national anthem.

Also gotta admit that I felt a bit of emotion as the young girl beautifully sang the national anthem.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good question, Min.

I gotta say, yes, sometimes

For instance, if I see a good looking girl at work or uni, my reflex response is to think to myself "if she hits on me, I can resist her" - WTF?!

How lame is that?

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I have the same personality I had before becoming a JW, I just have a different

view when it comes to religion. I stopped drinking and I'm not so judgmental,

so I believe I'm a better person...

• cofty
    cofty

No.

• pronomono
    pronomono

Yeah, sometimes little things get to me from my previous mindset.......

- whistling Kingdom Melodies, racking my brain to figure out "what's that tune", realizing what it was, and then I'm like WTF?

- wishing someone good luck, thinking I don't believe in luck, remembering I still don't believe in luck but it's not as bad as JWs say it is, and then looking around to make sure I didn't offend anyone

- stopping to say a prayer before I eat, then stopping and remembering I don't believe in God and it's the same prayer I've recited word-for-word for the past 20 years

- waking up at 9am for field service when I intended to sleep in and getting up to do housework (or be lazy) instead

Just lots of little things that have been engrained in my mind and schedule for over 20 years that's hard to overturn in the short time I've been mentally out. Consciously, I don't agree or want any of it, but subconsciously I'm still weeding some things out.

• Divergent
    Divergent
    Nope. I have put away the old personality (JW) & put on a new personality based on true love & humanism
  • Lee Elder
    Lee Elder
    Of course not everything Jdubs do or think is wrong but I doubt that is what you are asking. As for the things unique to JWs, I doubt that its possible to root it all out. Some of that stuff is happening at a subconscious level and will be with us for the rest of our lives. Probably why we still have JW dreams 10, 20, 30 years after we are out. Its complex PTSD and probably never going away completely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit