To All Those Keen To Tell Us About Their Beliefs

by Simon 50 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

We seem to have had an influx of religiots - the people who want to tell us all about how we / the WTS / whoever are wrong, wrong, WRONG about everything and how right they are. They obviously have special insight, or voices (probably voices, right?) telling them the real truth.

As proof, there is inevitably a wall of random scripture references and quotes.

Sorry, but we're not here for that. We've heard that shit before. If that's all you are going to do, you should be on your way because you're diatribes are going to be deleted. The site isn't here to host your bible diarrhea, so please don't bother - you're just going to be wasting your time.

People are free to have sensible debates about all manner of things, including beliefs, but if your arguments are just bible versions ... well, it's simply not convincing, because it isn't any kind of argument at all.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I don't mind the use of the Bible to make points, especially for religious discussions. I've become wary of the use of YouTube videos, because anyone can make those and some even have good production values, but the content is misleading or just plain wrong. Wikipedia and YouTube can be very useful, but they also are easy to use to spread stuff that is wrong or downright insane.

But neither is as bad as the extremely long posts that are used as a reply to any response they receive. You reply to a point using one or two paragraphs, they reply with thousands of words. You make another short reply, they make another novel-length post. I lose interest because you can't keep the points in mind when someone is monopolizing the discussion like that.

I suspect a lot of it is cut-and-paste, and possibly not their own stuff, just clipped from other sites. Which is even worse, because it demands that we spend a lot of time reading and considering something that they didn't put any work into.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

If you got 1000 theologians discussing Bible stuff, they'd be disagreeing on stuff.

That someone says such and such a scripture means 'this'. What arrogant nonsense.

It always amuses me how there is a propensity to see the 'end time' as relevant to our lifetime.

The 'anti-christ(tm)' just happens to be someone/thing we know but all different opinions.

Tonus is correct in saying scriptures can be used in certain circumstances.

However, I am not here to be lectured by religious zealots that conclude things using out of context scriptures based on their own dimwitted interpretations.

I'll make up my own mind, thanks.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.
    If you got 1000 theologians discussing Bible stuff, they'd be disagreeing on stuff.

Yep!

Due to my very long witness upbringing I have now come to feel that over the course of my life I have been constantly pebble-dashed, machine gunned and splattered with scriptures and the bible.

I try to avoid conversations now in the main about religion, politics and football...

• stan livedeath
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Maybe word got around that most folks here were XJWs, and the religiots thought they could find some fresh meat.

Fortunately for us, the WTS has already done a pretty effective job inoculating most of us against any other flavour of religious expression (credit where credit’s due).

😏

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

I believe in the Bible. I like discussing it. Jw don't like discussing it because it questions their incorrect theology and ruffles their cognitive dissonance causing them to get angry and run away.

There is a lot of ambiguity in the Bible which lends to debates. I think this is healthy.

Since this site is based on a religion, the Bible will ultimately always get brought up. Jesus will always get brought up. There's no better thing to discuss, in my opinion!! Keep seeking, keep discussing, I say!!❤️

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Iriddle - I believe in the Bible.

I think there is interesting history and some truth or wisdom in the Bible. I feel there is more metaphor than literal things in it.

However, I don't want a barrage of BORING copy paste scripture splurge telling me what I have to believe.

If I want to believe or not, that's down to me. I'm an adult.

As Ron says, I don't need to be...

constantly pebble-dashed, machine gunned and splattered with scriptures and the bible
  • Journeyman
    Journeyman

I agree that it's good that we are free to discuss the possible meaning of Bible verses - or any other such topic within reason - on here, when among JWs we are not free to openly discuss such things.

I think it would be a shame if those discussions were curtailed.

However I do also agree that pages and pages of cut and paste quotes from philosophers or church 'fathers' (or any other sources really) do get tedious and often miss the point. And like TonusOH, I don't find just posting YT links persuasive either, as any of us can do that.

Also, I think it's best to limit any such discussions to no more than a couple of active threads at a time, otherwise it looks like spamming and can be annoying for those not interested. So if I have a desire to mention something but I see a thread already active on a similar topic, I would refrain from starting a new one unless I really thought there was something different to ask/say.

For example, I'm not persuaded by the hype and hysteria about COVID conspiracies, so find too many threads on that topic (or posters who throw the subject in at random on unrelated threads) a bore. So I can understand that those who don't want to read about or discuss Bible topics would be similarly put off by multiple active threads (or posts) on that subject.

• Chevelle
    Chevelle

Bible

Part I: God is angry and vindictive

Part II: God takes a break from being angry and vindictive

The End

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit