Implications of gay marriage ruling

by Rattigan350 175 Replies latest social current

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2
    I usually don't comment on such controversial subjects this one affects me. My son is a same sex marriage. It hasn't hurt my 49 year marriage in any way. It gives my boys many marriage rights the rest of the world enjoy.
  • garyneal
    garyneal

OrphanCrow:

Challenged, yes. I do agree that those should be challenged. I just see it devolve into mudslinging from some of the posters.

My opinions are mixed and while I am happy gays are now able to marry I find the way it went about becoming 'law' troubling. I guess the messiness of our system I suppose. I do see some valid points from the dissenters concerning the way this right was extended to all, that's all.

Carry on...

• cappytan
    cappytan

I'm of the opinion that the government should have absolutely nothing to say about marriage between consenting adults at all.

its none of their damn business

• garyneal
    garyneal
    cappytan: My sentiments exactly.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    cappytan: I'm of the opinion that the government should have absolutely nothing to say about marriage between consenting adults at all.
    its none of their damn business.

I think it absolutely is the business of government to ensure that all people are given the rights they are entitled to.

By saying that government should stay out of it, the default position for that is...what? that religion should concern themselves with the legalities of marriage?

If it isn't the business of government...then tell me, whose business is it? Who is going to stand up for the rights of the minority??

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good post, Cappytan. I agree with the sentiment of it.

IMO, OrphanCrow also has a point - government should make sure all citizens have the same rights.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

cappytan:

"I'm of the opinion that the government should have absolutely nothing to say about marriage between consenting adults at all.

"its none of their damn business"

Who would decide child custody cases and divorce disputes over property?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I didn't think so.
    Perhaps a joke would help improve your disposition?
    What is the difference between a woman with PMS and a rabid pit bull?
    Jewelry.
    You are welcome,

Thank you. Now I know that you're more than willing to resort to misogyny when getting called out for asking a poorly thought out question with an obvious agenda. I now know everything I need to about out you, much like the guy that brags about rolling coal or the one with two rebel flags on his truck who says "I ain't racist, but...".

• Viviane
    Viviane
    And once again people who express a dissenting opinion on the gay marriage ruling is treated with disdain and like a pariah. I find the attitudes towards the dissenters appalling

So far, the dissent is based on either an utterly faulty understanding and willful ignorance of the history of marriage or upon a book that condones murder, slavery, misogyny, rape, genocide and racism that endorsed and commanded many different types of m

Why should I have anything BUT disdain for those opinions?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    VI: Who would decide child custody cases and divorce disputes over property?

Uummmm....church elders? I guess?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit