The boy who came back from heaven (the book), a hoax.

by James Mixon 24 Replies latest jw friends

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Oh really. The boy was six year old when he said he was in heaven with the Angels. Now he admit it was made up for attention.

• Simon
    Simon
    ... but some adults were desperate enough for evidence of their beliefs to believe a fanciful story from 6 year old child.
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

Yes sad but true Simon..Now the publisher are recalling all books and other items related to to the hoax.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yeah, I thought it was bogus from the get go. Even if he hadn't made it up, he could simply have been having a lucid dream based on his understanding of what happens when you die. People are so desperate to believe that there is some basis for thinking that they will go to heaven when they die they will believe anything. 

I was at a funeral at one of those ugly big box churches and they had it prominently featured in the Book store. 

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    LisaRose: "ugly big box church". LOL
  • JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    I certainly have the equivalent of a fanciful and imaginative six year old weaving illusory stories within my mind about who I am and who others are, and what “reality” is. 
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose
    lisaRose: "ugly big box church". LOL

You know the kind I mean, cement tilt up construction, no redeeming architectural elements whatsoever,  bland and boring. It might as well been a Costco. The entrance wasn't given anything to make it stand out, it couldn't even be seen from the street or the parking lot, it faced an empty field.  As unusual, it was built out in the middle of nowhere, in this case potato farming land in Idaho . This one had a children's chapel, a teen chapel and the main auditorium, it must have seated about 600. Also a coffee shop, cafe  and  book store.

I don't get it. 

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

One thing that's interesting about that story that I've read in a few others comments on the web about this is the boys last name is Malarkey, how appropriate

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Well I guess the movie "Heaven is for Real" based on Malarkey story will be now be marketed as fiction vs documentary. Yes that should have been a clue, 6 year old and his name Malarkey.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    The boy in Heaven is for real is named Colton Burpo, so I think the hoax involves a different boy. It doesn't make the story true though, it's still just the fevered dreams of a sick child. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit