Bait and Switch "Bible studies"

by Vanderhoven7 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Blotty
    Blotty

What's the difference between what the WT and other websites do that offer to "teach" you the bible? IMO its easier to study the bible when its broken down section by section - I don't get the complaint on either side of the spectrum for this one tbh

then again I may also be bias as I think the hate the Watchtower gets is woefully unjustified in many respects (It quite ironic tbh)

• a watcher
    a watcher

waton, current JW doctrine is that the anointed will survive INTO the GT but die before Armageddon.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

I once suggested that it should be OK to conduct a Bible study using just the Bible. I was immediately told that was apostate thinking. Who knew? I certainly didn't. MESSAGE: Don't read the Bible and certainly don't encourage others to do that.

I asked why the message was painted on the side of the factory building so that 100's of thousands of people saw it each day? Not much of an answer was given - in fact no answer was given. It sounded like noble direction but it was removed when WTC sold the buildings. They certainly did not paint it on the side of the building at Warwick. I believe that they were finally glad to get rid of it altogether.

WTC produces a Bible that is word-smithed to be like 2 synchronized swimmers. One repeats their narrative and the other seems to agree in unison. Just don't encourage anyone to study it without the 'steadying influence' of their narrative publication or you will be labeled an APOSTATE.

Don't believe me? Ask some who tried.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In my experience of Bible study with other groups (Unitarian, Christadelphian, Brethren, Seventh-day Adventists, Church of a Scotland, even Mormons) JWs are highly unusual in their style of quoting lots of single verses from the Bible to prove a point. For other groups Bible study consists of either reading a whole passage and discussing what it means or, if its a thematic approach, choosing a few passages on a similar theme. Quoting dozens of scattered verses to make a point just isn’t a thing in other churches. Actually there is one other church I encountered which has this same style of Bible study - the Iglesia ni Cristo.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Blotty,

I have explored some of the "other" websites that offer to teach the Bible. They never tried to rope me in so that would become a donating member (at least not the ones I explored).

When WTC offers to teach you the Bible, they want you contacted by a congregation, who then tries to persuade you to come the the KH. Soon they are counting you as a member of some variety and expecting you to donate. If you chafe at getting baptized past their grace period, the criticism starts. If you get baptized, you are expected to compete on the hamster wheel. If you try to leave, the rumor mill demonizes you. Shunning follows.

You said " I think the hate the Watchtower gets is woefully unjustified in many respects".

I think WTC does not get its fair share of criticism.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I was never pressured by JWs to donate a lot of money. That’s one thing I don’t think they can be accused of generally, which is a contrast with Mormons and Seventh-day Adventists in particular who tithe, but other churches too that have collections and insist on membership fees.

• Blotty
    Blotty

I have NEVER encountered any JW that "forced" me to donate.. infact again I disagree with alot of the issues raised.. some SEEM to just an attack on the WT when others do the same..

"I think WTC does not get its fair share of criticism." - critcism yes sure, I can agree.
    blanket hate they get plenty of that and the irony is on some cases they have been right.. (even if for theological reasons others don't agree) again going by the bible the ones claiming to be "Christian" and following Christ shouldn't be hating and being derogatory as Jesus nor the bible ever said to do that, infact it encourages the opposite actions (implying the flipside is incorrect)

• Blotty
    Blotty

"They never tried to rope me in so that would become a donating member (at least not the ones I explored)" - this argument was more directed at the issue raised on page 1, I have never encountered that either... unless you consider having a donate button at the bottom of the page "roping in"

• waton
    waton

current JW doctrine is that the anointed will survive INTO the GT but die before Armageddon.

a Watcher, thank you! I stand corrected. I took liberty with the timing. I read that the partakers will pass away at the onset of the Great Tribulation. Given that these now immortal warriors, will have to be trained to fall in line, and the rest are at it since their resurrection in 1918, I figured to give them the most time possible.

Important is, that wt does not teach any more that their 1914 generation will survive the end.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit